Marguerite II, Queen of France
|Birthname||Marguerite de Valois|
|born on||14 May 1553 Jul.Cal. (24 May 1553 greg.) at 16:03 (= 4:03 PM )|
|Place||St.Germain, France, 48n54, 2e05|
|Timezone||LMT m2e05 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||02°53' 26°37 Asc. 23°39'|
French royalty, the youngest daughter of Henry II of France and Catherine de Medicis. In 1572 she was forced to marry the Protestant Henry of Navarre (later Henry IV), changing her name at that time from Marguerite de Valois to Marguerite de Navarre, to seal a Catholic-Protestant reconciliation.
She was involved in a number of extramarital love affairs at the courts of both her brother Henry III and her husband, Henry. Expelled from the royal court for her political intrigues, she returned to the unwilling Navarre in 1584. After taking up arms against her husband, she was banished in 1586 to the castle of Usson in Auvergne, where she soon took control. In 1599, ten years after Henry of Navarre's accession to the throne, she consented to the annulment of her marriage.
Marguerite's charm and literary talent were admired by the leading writers of the age. Her memoirs were translated in 1892.
- child->parent relationship with Catherine de Medici, Queen (born 13 April 1519 Jul.Cal. (23 Apr 1519 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Henri II, King of France (born 31 March 1519 Jul.Cal. (10 Apr 1519 greg.))
- spouse relationship with Henri IV, King of France (born 14 December 1553 Jul.Cal. (24 Dec 1553 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Charles IX, King of France (born 27 June 1550 Jul.Cal. (7 July 1550 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Claude, Duchess Consort of Lorraine (born 12 November 1547 Jul.Cal. (22 Nov 1547 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth, Queen Consort of Spain (1545) (born 2 April 1545 Jul.Cal. (12 Apr 1545 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Francis II, King of France (born 19 January 1544 Jul.Cal. (29 Jan 1544 greg.))
- sibling relationship with François, Duke of Anjou (born 18 March 1555 Jul.Cal. (28 Mar 1555 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Henri III, King of France (born 19 September 1551 Jul.Cal. (29 Sep 1551 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Victoire, Princess of France (born 24 June 1556 Jul.Cal. (4 July 1556 greg.))
- Relationship : Marriage 1572 (Henry of Navarre)
- Social : Return Home 1584 (Returned to husband)
- Family : Change residence 1586 (Banished to castle of Usson)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1599 (Annuled marriage)
Martin Harvey quotes Junctinus (May 14 OS, 16:15 LAT = 16:03 LMT)
(Dana Holliday quotes Charlotte Haldane, "Queen of Hearts," pub. by Bobbs-Merritt, 1968, p.5, for "born May 15, 1533 (no time or place)."
Patrice Petitallot in Cadran No.17, 3/1995, gives May 14/24, 1553, 4:15 PM LMT.
- Traits : Personality : Gracious/ sociable (Charming)
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Extramarital affairs (Several affairs)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Civil/ Political (Took up arms against husband)
- Personal : Misc. : Changed name (Marguerite de Navarre)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (France)