Ferdinand von Sachsen-Coburg
|Birthname||Ferdinand Georg August|
|born on||28 March 1785 at 18:30 (= 6:30 PM )|
|Place||Coburg, Germany, 50n15, 10e58|
|Timezone||LMT m10e58 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||08°27' 09°45 Asc. 10°02'|
German royalty, a prince of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and a general of cavalry in the Austrian Imperial and Royal Army during the Napoleonic Wars.
He was the second son of Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and of his wife, Countess Augusta Reuss-Ebersdorf. In 1826 his title changed from prince of Saxe-Coburg and Saalfeld to prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha when his brother Duke Ernst I made a territorial exchange with other members of the family. Ferdinand's nephews and nieces included Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and her husband Prince Albert, as well as Empress Carlota of Mexico, and her brother King Leopold II of Belgium.
In Vienna on 30 November 1815, Ferdinand married Princess Maria Antonia Koháry de Csábrág et Szitnya, daughter and heiress of Ferenc József, Fürst Koháry de Csábrág et Szitnya. When Antonia's father died in 1826, she inherited his estates in Hungary. Ferdinand then added the surname Koháry to his own. Ferdinand and Antonia had four children all of whom were raised Catholic: Ferdinand II of Portugal (1816–1885); August (1818–1881) who would father Tsar Ferdinand I of Bulgaria; Victoria (1822–1857), who married Louis, Duke of Nemours; and Leopold (1824–1884).
Ferdinand died at Vienna on 27 August 1851 at the age of 66.
- child->parent relationship with Franz, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 15 July 1750)
- sibling relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (born 2 January 1784)
- sibling relationship with Leopold I, King of Belgium (born 16 December 1790)
- sibling relationship with Sophie von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 19 August 1778)
- sibling relationship with Victoire von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 17 August 1786)
- has other family relationship with Kyril, Prince of Bulgaria (born 17 November 1895). Notes: Great grandfather
Sy Scholfield quotes "Jahrbücher der Herzoglich Sächsischen Residenzstadt Coburg: Von 741 - 1822, Volume 1" by Philipp Carl Gotthard Karche (Ahl, 1825), pp. 380-381: ". den 28. März. am 2ten Ostertage Abends zwischen 6 und 7 Uhr wurde [durchI.?] Frau Erbprinzessin von einem Prinzen entbunden, welcher die Namen Ferdinand Georg August erhielt." [Translation: . 28 March. On the 2nd [day of?] Easter between 6 and 7 o'clock in the evening, Princess Beatrice was delivered of a prince, who was given the name Ferdinand Georg August.]
- Vocation : Military : Military career (general of cavalry)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family