Ter Braak, Menno
|born on||26 January 1902 at 07:00 (= 07:00 AM )|
|Place||Eibergen, Netherlands, 52n06, 6e39|
|Timezone||LST m4e53 (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||05°24' 04°45 Asc. 18°15'|
Dutch modernist author.
Menno ter Braak was the founder of the Filmliga (Movie League), an organisation for the study of animated film. In 1932 ter Braak, together with Edgar du Perron and Maurice Roelants, started the literary magazine Forum which proved to be one of the most important literary periodicals in the Dutch-speaking world in the 1930s.
Towards the end of his life he became increasingly involved in the growing anti-Fascist movement in the Netherlands. When the Second World War broke out in 1939 he fell into a deep depression. Four days after Nazi Germany had invaded the Netherlands, on 15 May 1940, after a failed attempt to flee to England, Menno ter Braak committed suicide by using a sedative, combined with an injection (by his brother) of poison.
- associate relationship with Ivens, Joris (born 18 November 1898). Notes: Dutch Filmliga
- associate relationship with Roland Holst, Adrianus (born 23 May 1888)
- friend relationship with Vriesland, Victor E. van (born 27 October 1892). Notes: Literary friends and critics
- compare to chart of Bonger, Willem Adriaan (born 16 September 1876). Notes: Death by suicide after the Dutch surrender for Nazi Germany
- Death by Suicide 14 May 1940 at 10:30 PM in Den Haag (Assisted suicide, sedative and poison)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield cites birth certificate quoted in "Menno ter Braak (1902-1940): Leben und Werk eines Querdenkers" by Léon Hanssen (Waxmann Verlag, 2011), p. 19: "Dort wurde am 26. Januar 1902, um sieben Uhr morgens, ihr Sohn Menno geboren. Laut Geburtsurkunde kam er „zu Eibergendorp Nr. 47 in dieser Gemeinde“ zur Welt, also im Whemererve." [Translation: "There, her son Menno was born on 26 January 1902 at seven o'clock in the morning. According to the birth certificate at "Eibergendorp No. 47 in this community," ie in Whemererve."]
Koppejan quoted Municipal Archive for 26 Jan 1902 at 7.00 AM at Eibergen in Beeldgids van de dierenriem. Koppejan also notes 14 May as the correct date of his death, though the Municipal Archive noted is as 15 May 1945. The Dutch Wikipedia also mentions the time: "Op de avond van 14 mei 1940, toen het Nederlandse leger had gecapituleerd, pleegde Ter Braak in de woning van zijn broer J.W.G. (Wim) ter Braak, zenuwarts te Den Haag, zelfmoord door een combinatie van een slaapmiddel en een injectie, toegediend door zijn broer. Zijn vriend Eddy du Perron overleed rond dezelfde tijd, tussen tien en elf uur 's avonds, aan hartfalen. Door de schouwarts, die de volgende ochtend arriveerde, werd 15 mei ingevuld als datum van Ter Braaks overlijden."
- Personal : Death : Suicide
- Vocation : Writers : Magazine/ newsletter
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Essayist)