Editing an article
Users who have editor status can edit articles by adding, correcting and improving content. In order to prevent vandalism and to protect some sensitive articles, however, some articles can be locked and cannot be edited for a short time. Such a block will apply in emergency only.
How to edit an article:
- Browse to the article that you want to edit.
- Click on either the "edit" link at the top of the page, or on the "edit" link next to the heading if you just want to work on the corresponding article section.
- Now you can change the text. Probably a few strange characters are found within the text: these provide the formatting of the text and the links between the articles. Next chapter will explain these characters in more detail.
- Type in a few words in the "Summary" text box that explain your changes, that is, for example, "typos" or "date corrected", so that other users will easier understand what has changed. If you expand the text, you should indicate here the sources you used.
- Click on the "Show preview" button in order to verify that everything is as you intend to.
- If everything is correct, you can now click the "Save page" button to save your changes.
Creating a new article
If an article does not exist yet, you can create it. First you should, however, consider some important things: is the creation of a separate article more meaningful than adding to an existing one? Does the article not really exist, not even under another common name? Is this article relevant to the AstroWiki?
How to create a new article:
- Type in the box to the left the name or the lemma (i.e. the title) of the article that you want to create and confirm with "create this page". The name, however, should carefully be chosen, see Naming conventions.
- Now you can write the article; as when editing articles, special characters are used for formatting text and for linking other articles. Next chapter will explain these characters in more detail.
- Type in a few words in the "Summary" text box that explain what your article is about and which are your sources.
- Click on the "Show preview" button and, if everything appears correct, then click "Save page".
- Perform a full text search for your article, in order to determine whether you can meaningfully link it from other articles.