|Birthname||Michael Melhem Zacarias|
|born on||19 March 1905 at 00:00 (= 12:00 midnight )|
|Place||Mexico City, Mexico, 19n24, 99w09|
|Timezone||LMT m99w09 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||28°00' 00°48 Asc. 18°34'|
Mexican film director, producer, and writer who began directing for film in 1933. Even from his early career he developed a reputation for recognizing new acting talent; he promoted the careers of the some of Mexico's most notable actors including Pedro Armendáriz in Rosario (1935), María Félix, Marga López, Esther Fernández, Pedro Infante, Tin Tan, Cantinflas, and Manuel Medel. His 1961 film Juana Gallo was entered into the 2nd Moscow International Film Festival. Zacarías directed his last film in 1986.
He worked in New York City in Malcom Laboratories, where he made several significant acquaintances from the cinematic world. Zacarías returned to Mexico in 1932 and with his brother founded the production company Latino Films. He produced, directed and edited Sobre las Olas. He then partnered with Juan Bustillo Oro and Fernando de Fuentes to found the production company Grovas y Diana Films. He developed an efficient directing method - having the screenplays recorded beforehand, so he could quickly work with actors to improve their approach and technique. He worked with Mario Moreno Cantinflas, Emilio Azcárraga Vidaurreta, and Howard Hughes to construct Los Estudios Churubusco.
In spite of his considerable cinematographic work, Zacarías always considered himself a writer. He produced some 130 novels, 250 short stories, 27 theatrical works, poetry, and essays touching on philosophy and politics. He wrote one ballet, La Princesa Europea.
In 1993 Zacarías received the Gold Ariel award at the XXXV Ceremonia de Entrega del Ariel. In 2001 he was given the Salvador Toscano Medal.
He died in his sleep on 20 April 2006 at the age of 101 in Cuernavaca, Morelos, of heart failure. His son is film director Alfredo Zacarias. His granddaughter is playwright Karen Zacarias.
- business associate/partner relationship with Azcárraga Vidaurreta, Emilio (born 2 March 1895)
- business associate/partner relationship with Cantinflas (born 12 August 1911)
- business associate/partner relationship with Hughes, Howard (born 24 September 1905)
Sy Scholfield provided birth registry entry from Federal District, Mexico archives: "a los 12 doce media noche" (at 12 midnight).
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Heart disease/attack
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Heart)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Centenarian, age 101)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Entertain Producer
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction (Novels and short stories)
- Vocation : Writers : Religion/ Philosophy
- Vocation : Writers : Playwright/ script
- Vocation : Writers : Poet
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Essayist)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award