Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
|born on||24 June 1532 Jul.Cal. (4 July 1532 greg.) at 08:30 (= 08:30 AM )|
|Place||Kassel, Germany, 51n19, 9e29|
|Timezone||LMT m9e29 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||11°46' 25°04 Asc. 01°29'|
German astronomer, also called William the Wise (German: Wilhelm der Weise), who was the first Landgrave of the Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He was the founder of the oldest line, which survives to this day.
He was the eldest son of Landgrave Philipp the Magnanimous and Christina of Saxony. After his father's death in 1567, the Landgraviate of Hesse was divided between the four sons out of the late Landgrave of Hesse's first marriage, and Wilhelm received the portion around the capital Kassel, the Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel.
Wilhelm was a pioneer in astronomical research, and perhaps owes his most lasting fame to his discoveries in this branch of study. The principal product of the astronomical observations was the Hessian star catalogue, a catalogue of about a thousand stars.
Wilhelm was married to Sabine of Württemberg, daughter of Christoph, Duke of Württemberg. They had eleven children.
He died on 25 August 1592, aged 60.
- associate relationship with Brahe, Tycho (born 14 December 1546 Jul.Cal. (24 Dec 1546 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Philipp I, Landgrave of Hesse (born 13 November 1504 (greg.))
- sibling relationship with Agnes, Electress of Saxony (born 31 May 1527 Jul.Cal. (10 June 1527 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Anna of Hesse, Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken (born 16 October 1529 Jul.Cal. (26 Oct 1529 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Barbara of Hesse, Duchess of Württemberg (born 16 April 1536 Jul.Cal. (26 Apr 1536 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christine of Hesse, Duchess of Holstein-Gottorp (born 29 June 1543 Jul.Cal. (9 July 1543 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Georg I, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 10 September 1547 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1547 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ludwig IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Marburg (born 27 May 1537 Jul.Cal. (6 June 1537 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Philipp II, Landgrave of Hesse-Rheinfels (born 22 April 1541 Jul.Cal. (2 May 1541 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from Monimenta Hassiaca by Friederich Christoph Schmincke (Cramer, 1750), p. 336: "Wilhelm Landgraff zu Heßen ist geboren zu Caßel An. D. 1532. den 24 des Brachmonats zwischen acht und neun Uhre."
(Wilhelm Landgraff was born at Kassel in 1532 AD, 24 June, between eight and nine o'clock).
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (11+)
- Vocation : Science : Astronomy
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hesse-Kassel)