Van Dyke, Dick
|Birthname||Richard Wayne Van Dyke|
|born on||13 December 1925 at 21:00 (= 9:00 PM )|
|Place||West Plains, Missouri, 36n44, 91w51|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||21°37' 29°11 Asc. 15°29'|
American actor, comedian, singer, and dancer, whose entertainment career has spanned seven decades. Van Dyke is the recipient of five Primetime Emmys, a Tony, and a Grammy Award, and was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame in 1995. He received the Screen Actors Guild's highest honor, the SAG Life Achievement Award, in 2013. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard and has also been recognized as a Disney Legend.
He first gained recognition on radio and Broadway, then he became known for his role as Rob Petrie on the CBS television sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966). He also gained significant popularity for roles in the musical films Bye Bye Birdie (1963), Mary Poppins (1964), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), and Mary Poppins Returns (2018). His other prominent film appearances include roles in The Comic (1969), Dick Tracy (1990), Curious George (2006), Night at the Museum (2006), and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014). Other prominent TV roles include the leads in The New Dick Van Dyke Show (1971–1974), Diagnosis: Murder (1993–2001), and Murder 101 (2006–2008) which both co-starred his son Barry.
Van Dyke was born to Hazel Victoria (née McCord; 1896 – 1992), a stenographer, and Loren Wayne "Cookie" Van Dyke (1898–1976), a salesman. He grew up in Danville, Illinois. He is the older brother of actor Jerry Van Dyke (1931–2018). Van Dyke has Dutch, English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry, with a family line that traces back to Mayflower passenger John Alden.
On 12 February 1948 he and the former Margerie Willett were married on the radio show Bride and Groom. They had four children: Christian, Barry, Stacy, and Carrie Beth. They divorced in 1984 after a long separation. Van Dyke lived with longtime companion Michelle Triola for more than 30 years, until her death in 2009. On 29 February 2012, at the age of 86, Van Dyke married 40-year-old make-up artist Arlene Silver. They had met six years earlier at the SAG awards.
- associate relationship with Andrews, Julie (born 1 October 1935). Notes: Co-stars in 1964 musical fantasy film "Mary Poppins"
- associate relationship with Kaufman, Andy (born 17 January 1949). Notes: Co-stars in "Van Dyke and Company," 1976
- associate relationship with Lange, Hope (born 28 November 1933). Notes: Co-stars in "The New Dick Van Dyke Show," 1971-1974
- associate relationship with Moore, Mary Tyler (born 29 December 1936). Notes: Co-stars in "The Dick Van Dyke Show," 1961-1966
- friend relationship with O'Connor, Donald (born 28 August 1925). Notes: High school classmates
- friend relationship with Short, Bobby (born 15 September 1924). Notes: High school classmates
- sibling relationship with Van Dyke, Jerry (born 27 July 1931)
- Work : Prize 1961 (Tony award for "Bye Bye Birdie")
- Work : Prize 1964 (Grammy Award for "Mary Poppins" soundtrack)
- Work : Prize 1964 (First Emmy for "The Dick Van Dyke Show")
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1984 (Margerie Willett)
- Work : Prize 1995 (Television Hall of Fame)
- Work : Prize 2013 (SAG Life Achievement Award)
Sy Scholfield provided copies of two birth reports: "Son for Traveling Salesman," The Journal-Gazette (West Plains, Missouri), Thursday, 17 Dec 1925, p. 10: "The child was born Sunday evening at Christa Hogan hospital. He has been named Richard Wayne;" and The West Plains Journal (Missouri), Thursday, 17 Dec 1925, p. 13: "Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Van Dyke of the West Plains House, are the parents of a 7½-pound son, born Sunday evening at Christa Hogan hospital, who will be christened Richard Wayne." A time of 9pm is speculative.
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Alcohol (Alcoholic for 25 years)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse - other addictions (Heavy smoker)
- Family : Relationship : Cohabitation more than 3 yrs (Michelle Triola, 30+ years)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Margerie Willett, 1948-1984)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted (Son Barry is an actor)
- Vocation : Art : Other Art (Computer-generated imagery)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film, TV, stage, radio)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Comedy
- Vocation : Entertainment : Radio/ D.J./ Announcer
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV series/ Soap star
- Vocation : Entertainment : Voice-Over
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (A cappella group, "Dick Van Dyke and The Vantastix")
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Politics : Party Affiliation (Democrat)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Various books)
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (Five)
- Notable : Awards : Grammy
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Hollywood Walk of Fame)
- Notable : Awards : Tony
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (SAG Life Achievement Award)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Television)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession (Disney Legend)