Sports: Olympic torch relay
|born on||1 August 1936 at 11:42 (= 11:42 AM )|
|Place||Berlin, Germany, 52n29, 13e21|
|Timezone||MET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||08°59' 17°09 Asc. 23°25'|
|Start of relay|
|Date||20 July 1936 at 12:00 (= 12:00 noon )|
|Place||Olympia, GRC, 37n3817, 21e3748|
|Timezone||EET h2e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°29' 18°58 Asc. 16°01'|
International torch relay which has formed part of the symbolism of the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in modern times, having been carried out since the 1936 Games in Berlin. The tradition of the Olympic flame goes back to ancient Greece; the fire was lit in honour of the goddess Hestia.
In the modern period of the Games, an Olympic flame was lit for the first time at the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam. However, there was no torch relay before the opening ceremony, and nor was the flame lit by a known person.
The Olympic torch relay is still regarded by the public as an invention of the National Socialists (Nazis) and their Olympic organizer Carl Diem. In fact, the torch relay was the idea of the Jewish archaeologist Alfred Schiff from Berlin. The torches were produced by the Krupp armaments company from wood and metal in the shape of an olive tree leaf.
After ignition by a burning mirror in ancient Olympia, the flame was carried over 3,187 km by 3,331 runners, who together formed the relay, from Greece to Berlin in twelve days and eleven nights. The relay began at 12 noon on 20 July 1936 in Olympia. The torch reached Berlin on 1 August 1936 at 11:42 AM. The torch relay appears in Leni Riefenstahl's film Olympia.
- associate relationship with Ali, Muhammad (born 17 January 1942). Notes: 1996 final runner, Atlanta
- associate relationship with Freeman, Cathy (born 16 February 1973). Notes: 2000 final runner, Sydney
- associate relationship with Johnson, Rafer (born 18 August 1935). Notes: 1984 final runner, Los Angeles
- associate relationship with Sports: 1936 Summer Olympics, Berlin (born 1 August 1936)
- compare to chart of Hitler, Adolf (born 20 April 1889)
- compare to chart of Nation: German Reich (1871) (born 18 January 1871)
- compare to chart of Political: Hitler appointed as Chancellor (1933) (born 30 January 1933)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1 August 1936 at 11:42 AM in Berlin (1936 Olympics: End of first torch relay)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Social : Great Publicity 1 August 1936 at 11:42 AM in Berlin (Olympic torch arrives in Berlin)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Keller quotes "Wikipedia" for 11:42 AM, Berlin, but the reference could not be found.
Sy Scholfield suggests a chart for the start of the relay, quoting from Erster olympischer Fackel-Staffel-Lauf Deutschland 31. Juli 1936 by Diethard Hensel (Agon-Sportverl., 2007), page 30: "Der Olympie - Packelstaffellauf beginnt am Montag, dem 20. Juli 1936 mittags 12,00 Uhr in Olympia."
(Translation: The Olympic relay run began on Monday, 20 July 1936, at noon in Olympia).
- Vocation : Politics : Nazi party (Medium of public relations for Hitler's image)
- Notable : Famous : Notable extremes
- Mundane : Sports : Sports contests (1936 Berlin Olympics)
- Mundane : Misc. Mundane : Historic milestones