Sports: 1988 Summer Olympics, Seoul
|born on||17 September 1988 at 13:15 (= 1:15 PM )|
|Place||Seoul, Korea (N and S), 37n33, 126e58|
|Timezone||KDT h10e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||24°27' 00°26 Asc. 06°21'|
South Korean-hosted international multi-sport event held from 17 September to 2 October 1988 in Seoul, officially known as the Games of the XXIV Olympiad and commonly known as Seoul 1988. 159 nations were represented at the games by a total of 8,391 athletes (6,197 men and 2,194 women). 237 events were held and 27,221 volunteers helped to prepare the Olympics.
The 1988 Seoul Olympics is the second summer Olympic Games held in Asia. South Korea ranked fourth overall, winning 12 gold medals and 33 medals in the competition. 11,331 media (4,978 written press and 6,353 broadcasters) showed the Games all over the world. These were the last Olympic Games of the Cold War, as well as for the Soviet Union and East Germany, as both ceased to exist before the next Olympic Games in 1992. The Soviet Union utterly dominated the medal count, winning 55 gold and 132 total medals. No nation came even close to repeating this result after 1988.
The much larger boycotts seen in the 1976, 1980 and 1984 Olympics were avoided, resulting in the largest number of participating nations during the Cold War era. Except for seven boycott countries, all countries around the world participated. And this marked the Seoul Olympics as a symbolic Olympic event that laid the groundwork for the end of the Cold War. The history of the Olympic boycott ended completely at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics four years later.
These were the last Summer Olympic Games to hold the opening ceremony during the daytime. The opening ceremony featured a skydiving team descending over the stadium and forming the five-colored Olympic Rings, as well as a mass demonstration of taekwondo.
- associate relationship with Alexandre, Marc (born 30 October 1959). Notes: Gold medal, -71 kg Lightweight, France
- associate relationship with Berghmans, Ingrid (born 24 August 1961). Notes: Gold medal, -72 kg Judo, Belgium
- associate relationship with Biondi, Matt (born 8 October 1965). Notes: 5x Gold medals, Freestyle, USA
- associate relationship with Bordin, Gelindo (born 2 April 1959). Notes: Gold medal, Marathon, Italy
- associate relationship with Farina, Gianluca (born 15 December 1962). Notes: Gold medal, Quadruple sculls, Italy
- associate relationship with Hansen, Alf (born 13 July 1948). Notes: Silver medal, rowing, Norway
- associate relationship with Hegh, Hanne (born 27 April 1960). Notes: Olympic Silver medal, handball, Norway
- associate relationship with Jolly, Allison (born 4 August 1956). Notes: Gold medal, 470 class, USA
- associate relationship with Joyner, Florence Griffith (born 21 December 1959). Notes: 3x Gold medals: 100m, 200m, 4×100m, USA
- associate relationship with Korjus, Tapio (born 10 February 1961). Notes: Gold medal, Javelin, Finland
- associate relationship with Lewis, Carl (born 1 July 1961). Notes: 2x Gold medals: 100 m, Long jump, USA
- associate relationship with Parisi, Giovanni (born 2 December 1967). Notes: Gold medal, Featherweight, Italy
- associate relationship with Poli, Pietro (born 9 October 1960). Notes: Gold medal, Rowing, Italy
- associate relationship with Rønningen, Jon (born 28 November 1962). Notes: Olympic Gold Medal, wrestling 52 kg, Norway
- associate relationship with Sperber-Seiderer, Silvia (born 9 February 1965). Notes: Gold medal, Women's 50 m rifle 3 positions, West Germany
- associate relationship with Srecki, Eric (born 2 July 1964). Notes: Gold medal, Team épée, France
- associate relationship with Sundal, Heidi (born 30 October 1962). Notes: Olympic Silver medal, handball, Norway
- compare to chart of Burden, Doug (born 29 July 1965). Notes: Bronze Medal , Men's eight (rowing), for USA
- compare to chart of Egerszegi, Krisztina (born 16 August 1974). Notes: Olympic Gold Medal 200 m Backstroke
- compare to chart of Plewinski, Catherine (born 12 July 1968). Notes: Bronze medal (100 m freestyle)
The opening ceremony of the 1988 Summer Olympics took place at Seoul Olympic Stadium in Seoul, South Korea, on 17 September 1988 from "10:30 – 13:47 KST (UTC+9)" .
- Mundane : Sports : Sports contests (Summer Olympic Games)