Sports: 1948 Summer Olympics, London
|born on||29 July 1948 at 16:00 (= 4:00 PM )|
|Place||London, England, 51n30, 0w10|
|Timezone||BST h1e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||06°22' 10°37 Asc. 27°37'|
British-hosted international multi-sport event held from 29 July to 14 August 1948 in London, United Kingdom. Following a twelve-year hiatus caused by the outbreak of World War II, these were the first Summer Olympics held since the 1936 Games in Berlin.
The 1940 Olympic Games had been scheduled for Tokyo and then for Helsinki, while the 1944 Olympic Games had been provisionally planned for London. This was the second time London had hosted the Olympic Games, having previously hosted them in 1908, forty years earlier.
At 4 PM on 29 July, the time shown on Big Ben on the London Games symbol, the King declared the Games open, 2,500 pigeons were set free and the Olympic Flag raised to its 35 ft (11 m) flagpole at the end of the stadium. The Royal Horse Artillery sounded a 21-gun salute and the last runner in the Torch Relay ran a lap of the track – created with cinders from the domestic coal fires of Leicester – and climbed the steps to the Olympic cauldron. After saluting the crowd, he turned and lit the flame.
The opening ceremony and over 60 hours of Games coverage was broadcast live on BBC television, which was then only available to a small audience in the London area.
These Games were the last to include an arts competition, which took place at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- associate relationship with Barker, Cliff (born 15 January 1921). Notes: Gold medal, Basketball team, USA
- associate relationship with Beyaert, José (born 1 October 1925). Notes: Gold medal, Individual road race, France
- associate relationship with Boryla, Vince (born 11 March 1927). Notes: Gold medal, Basketball team, USA
- associate relationship with Bourland, Cliff (born 1 January 1921). Notes: Gold Medal, 4 × 400 m relay, USA
- associate relationship with Buhan, Jean (born 5 April 1912). Notes: 2× Gold medals, Individual and team foil, France
- associate relationship with Groza, Alex (born 7 October 1926). Notes: Gold medal, Basketball team, USA
- associate relationship with Lataste, Jacques (born 7 June 1922). Notes: Gold medal, Team foil, France
- associate relationship with Mathias, Bob (born 17 November 1930). Notes: Gold medal, Decathlon, USA
- associate relationship with Robinson, Jackie (1927) (born 26 April 1927). Notes: Gold medal, Basketball team, USA
- associate relationship with Røgeberg, Willy (born 11 December 1905). Notes: Bronze medal, rifle, Norway
- associate relationship with Smith, Guinn (born 2 May 1920). Notes: Gold medal, Pole vault, USA
- associate relationship with Vissers, Joseph (born 28 October 1928). Notes: Silver medal, Lightweight, Belgium
- associate relationship with Wouters, Lode (born 27 May 1929). Notes: Gold medal, Team Road Race, Belgium
Sy Scholfield quotes "His Majesty the King at 4 p.m. declares: I proclaim open the Olympic Games of London", from: XIVth Olympiad London 1948 : opening ceremony, Empire Stadium Wembley Thursday 29th July at 2h30 PM : official programme [publ. by the Organising Committee for the XIV Olympiad London], page 13 .
- Mundane : Sports : Sports contests (Summer Olympics)