Smith, Jay R.
|born on||29 August 1915 at 08:30 (= 08:30 AM )|
|Place||Los Angeles, California, 34n03, 118w15|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||05°14' 02°46 Asc. 13°31'|
American child actor in the Our Gang film series during the silent Pathé era, between 1925 and 1931, he was known as "Freckles" or "Pinky". Smith's first film in the series was Boys Will Be Joys in 1925. He replaced Mickey Daniels as the freckle-faced kid and continued until the silent era ended. He also appeared as himself in 45 Minutes From Hollywood (1926).
After leaving acting, Smith eventually went into the retail paint business and moved to Kailua, Hawaii. After retiring from the retail paint business in the early 1990s, he moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. In October 2002, he was reported missing. After an extensive search, his body was found on 5 October 2002 in the desert near Las Vegas. He had been stabbed to death. Charles "Wayne" Crombie, a homeless man whom Smith reportedly befriended, was eventually convicted of the crime and sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison, where he died on 17 July 2014.
- associate relationship with Chaney, Norman (born 18 October 1914). Notes: Co-stars in "Our Gang" films
- associate relationship with Cooper, Jackie (born 15 September 1922). Notes: Co-stars in "Our Gang" films
- associate relationship with Jackson, Mary Ann (born 14 January 1923). Notes: Co-stars in "Our Gang" films
- associate relationship with Spear, Harry (born 16 December 1921). Notes: Co-stars in "Our Gang" films
Sy Scholfield provided birth certificate.
- Passions : Criminal Victim : Homicide victim
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 87)
- Personal : Death : Unusual (Murdered)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer (Film actor)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Comedy