|born on||21 September 1452 Jul.Cal. (30 Sep 1452 greg.) at 16:26 (= 4:26 PM )|
|Place||Ferrara, Italy, 44n50, 11e35|
|Timezone||LMT m11e35 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||07°30' 16°14 Asc. 03°45'|
Italian Roman Catholic friar and religious reformer, a visionary of moral reform in a decadent time. He spoke prophetic sermons with sincere zeal, making enemies in high places. He spared no one when he told publicly of gaming and whoring and where there was corruption and iniquity. His passion ignited the people and he became the prophet of his day, a voice crying out in the wilderness for purity and piety.
It was customary to have an annual festival in the spring in which there was riotous celebration with a faire, strong drink and rowdy games. Savonarola preached strongly for abstinence and humility, urging the people to build a huge bonfire, and throw into it their comic or prurient pictures, their toys and frivolous costumes and games, the Bonfire of the Vanities.
Virtue soon began to wear thin with the people, and patience short with the aristocracy. The Pope himself sent word for Savonarola to cease and desist in the interests of peace, but Savonarola's mission was greater than the Pope himself. He continued preaching inflammatory sermons in the pulpit and in the streets. He was arrested and taken to prison along with a number of his disciples. In three trials, he was tortured to recant, and when he refused to bow to the worst inquisition to which he could be subjected, he was hanged and burned at the stake on 5/23/1498 OS = 6/01/1498 NS.
- Death by Execution 23 May 1498 Jul.Cal. (1 June 1498 greg.) (Hanged and burned at stake, age 45)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Gauntlett states "authentic information" in AQ Fall/1961, September 21, 1452 OS.
Evangaline Adams pictured a chart for 6:00 PM.
Martin Harvey in "Nativitas" Vol 1 has a chart for "near sunset," with 5 Aries ASC, "from Cardanus" with no source for the data. This computes to 5:56 PM LAT, 5:46 PM LMT.
Alan Leo's "Notable Nativities" #459, quotes Cardan's "Opera" Vol.V f490 gives a chart for 5:48 PM LAT.
A slightly different chart appeared in American Astrology December 1992, p.52, calculated for 4:22 PM U.T or 5:19 PM local time.
The Encyclopaedia Catholica Online gives Sep 12 1452, Ferrara Italy, giving rise to the question of whether the date of 9/21/14521 had been corrected for style and then, inadvertently corrected a second time.
- Traits : Personality : Active (Energetic)
- Traits : Personality : Articulate (Swayed people)
- Traits : Personality : Bigot (Fanatic)
- Traits : Personality : Fiery (Visionary)
- Personal : Death : Unusual (Hanged and burned at stake)
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ western (R.C. monk)
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Leadership (Large following)
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure (Famed Renaiscance figure)
- 1452 births
- Birthday 21 September
- Birthplace Ferrara, ITALY
- Sun 7 Libra
- Moon 16 Capricorn
- Asc 3 Pisces
- 1498 deaths
- Traits : Personality : Active
- Traits : Personality : Articulate
- Traits : Personality : Bigot
- Traits : Personality : Fiery
- Personal : Death : Unusual
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ western
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Leadership
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure