Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor
|born on||18 July 1552 Jul.Cal. (28 July 1552 greg.) at 19:00 (= 7:00 PM )|
|Place||Vienna, Austria, 48n13, 16e2223|
|Timezone||LMT m16e2223 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||05°14' 02°05 Asc. 23°13'|
Austrian royalty, known as King of the Romans, his empire extending to Hungary, Bohemia and Germany. Greatly interested in chemistry, alchemy, astronomy and astrology, he was a patron of Tycho Brahe and Johannes Kepler.
Rudolf II was Holy Roman Emperor (1576–1612), King of Hungary and Croatia (as Rudolf I, 1572–1608), King of Bohemia (1575–1608/1611) and Archduke of Austria (1576–1608). He was a member of the House of Habsburg.
Rudolf's legacy has traditionally been viewed in three ways: an ineffectual ruler whose mistakes led directly to the Thirty Years' War; a great and influential patron of Northern Mannerist art; and an intellectual devotee of occult arts and learning which helped seed what would be called the scientific revolution.
He had several illegitimate children with his mistress Catherina Strada. Their eldest son, Don Julius Caesar d'Austria, was likely born between 1584 and 1586 and received an education and opportunities for political and social prominence from his father.
Rudolf died on 20 January 1612 in Prague at age 59.
- child->parent relationship with Maria of Austria, Holy Roman Empress (born 21 June 1528 Jul.Cal. (1 July 1528 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor (born 1 August 1527 Jul.Cal. (11 Aug 1527 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht VII, Archduke of Austria (born 13 November 1559 Jul.Cal. (23 Nov 1559 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Anna, Queen of Spain (born 1 November 1549 Jul.Cal. (11 Nov 1549 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elizabeth, Queen Consort (born 5 June 1554 Jul.Cal. (15 June 1554 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Matthias, Holy Roman Emperor (born 24 February 1557 Jul.Cal. (6 Mar 1557 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Maximilian III, Archduke of Austria (born 12 October 1558 Jul.Cal. (22 Oct 1558 greg.))
- (has as) recipient relationship with Brahe, Tycho (born 14 December 1546 Jul.Cal. (24 Dec 1546 greg.))
- (has as) recipient relationship with Kepler, Johannes (born 27 December 1571 Jul.Cal. (6 Jan 1572 greg.))
Leo's Notable Nativity No.570 gives July 18, 1556 OS; original source not known. Most other sources say he was born in 1552 in Vienna.
atr has accepted 1552 as more likely correct, but we keep Leo's time in lieu of other sources.
Michael Keller quotes Wilhelm Knappich's Die Habsburger Chronik (1969), pp.132: "Am 14. April 1552 war nach dreijährigem Aufenthalt in Spanien der junge Erzherzog Maximilian mit seiner Gattin Maria und zwei Kindern nach Wien zurückgekehrt, und bald darauf, am 18. Juli, 7 Uhr abends, wurde ihm ein Sohn geboren, der nach dem Ahnherrn seines Hauses den Namen Rudolf erhielt". (after a sojourn of three years in Spain the young Archduke Maximilian II had returned to Vienna, together with his wife Mary of Austria, on 14 april 1552. Soon afterwards, a son was born on 18 july at 7 PM who received the name Rudolf."
- Lifestyle : Work : Mentor/Tutor (Patron of Kepler and Brahe)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Habsburg, Austria)