|Birthname||Armand Joseph Désiré Roulin|
|born on||5 May 1871 at 09:00 (= 09:00 AM )|
|Place||Lambesc, France, 43n39, 5e16|
|Timezone||LMT m5e16 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||14°23' 20°05 Asc. 19°00'|
French blacksmith's apprentice who, along with his family, was painted in Arles by Vincent Van Gogh in 1888. The family included his postman father Joseph Roulin; his mother, Augustine; and his two siblings. Van Gogh described the family as "really French, even if they look like Russians." In exchange for their work as models, Van Gogh gave the Roulins one painting for each family member.
He was 17 years of age when portrayed by Van Gogh. Van Gogh's works depict a serious young man who at the time the paintings were made had left his parents' home. The Museum Folkwang work depicts Armand in what are likely his best clothes: an elegant fedora, vivid yellow coat, black waistcoat and tie. Armand's manner seems a bit sad, or perhaps bored by sitting. His figure fills the picture plane giving the impression that he is a confident, masculine young man.
In the second work, with his body slightly turned aside and his eyes looking down, he appears to be a sad young man. Even the angle of the hat seems to indicate sadness. Both museum paintings were made on a large canvas, 65 x 54 cm.
Armand Roulin died in Nice on 24 November 1945 at age 74. Loving Vincent, a 2017 movie based on the life of Vincent van Gogh, features Armand Roulin as the main character. In it, Roulin is asked by his father, Joseph, to deliver a letter to Vincent's brother, Theo van Gogh.
- child->parent relationship with Roulin, Augustine (born 9 October 1851)
- child->parent relationship with Roulin, Joseph (born 4 April 1841)
- sibling relationship with Roulin, Camille (born 10 July 1877)
- sibling relationship with Roulin, Marcelle (born 31 July 1888)
- (has as) other hierarchical relationship with Van Gogh, Vincent (born 30 March 1853). Notes: Painter/ model
Sy Scholfield provided birth registry entry from Bouches-du-Rhône archives (no. 30).
- Vocation : Beauty : Model (Posed for paintings by Vincent Van Gogh)
- Notable : Famous : Other Famous (Model for famous paintings by Van Gogh)