|Birthname||Johann Marsilius Purrmann|
|born on||10 April 1880 at 14:00 (= 2:00 PM )|
|Place||Speyer, Germany, 49n19, 8e26|
|Timezone||LMT m8e26 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||21°03' 01°39 Asc. 00°31'|
German artist, known for his colourful, sensitively painted landscapes, still lifes and portraits. There are large collections of his works in Langenargen Museum and in the Purrmann House, Speyer.
He completed an apprenticeship as a scene painter and interior decorator, and subsequently studied in Karlsruhe and Munich before going to Paris in 1906. It was here he became a student and later a friend of Henri Matisse with whom he set up a painting school. After 1916 Purrmann lived in Berlin and Langenargen (Lake Constance), moving from there in 1935 to run the German art foundation at the Villa Romana in Florence. He lived there until 1943, then in Montagnola (Switzerland). He died in Basel on 17 April 1966 at age 86.
- associate relationship with Weisgerber, Albert (born 21 April 1878)
- friend relationship with Levy, Rudolf (born 15 July 1875)
- friend relationship with Matisse, Henri (born 31 December 1869)
- spouse relationship with Vollmöller-Purrmann, Mathilde (born 18 October 1876). Notes: 1912-1943
- (has as) teacher relationship with von Stuck, Franz (born 23 February 1863)
Sy Scholfield cites birth certificate quoted in "Leben und Meinungen des Malers Hans Purrmann: an Hand seiner Erzählungen, Schriften und Briefe zusammengestellt" by Hans Purrmann (Limes Verlag, 1961), p. 408:
"Vor dem unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute, der Persönlichkeit nach bekannt, Georg Heinrich Purrmann, Maler und Tüncher, wohnhaft zu Speyer, protestantischer Religion, und zeigte an, daß von der Elisabeth Schirmer, seiner Ehefrau, katholischer Religion, wohnhaft hei ihm, zu Speyer, am zehnten April des Jahres tausend acht hundert achtzig nachts um zwei Uhr ein Kind männlichen Geschlechts geboren worden sei, welches die Vornamen Johann Marsi- lius erhalten habe." [Abridged translation: Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, Georg Heinrich Purrmann, painter of the Protestant religion, who stated that Elisabeth Schirmer, his wife, residing with him at Speyer, on the tenth day of April of the year eighteen eighty, at two o'clock in the afternoon, gave birth to a male child, named Johann Marsilius"].
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 86)
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist (Painter)