|Birthname||Albert Marcel Germain René Portevin|
|born on||1 November 1880 at 10:00 (= 10:00 AM )|
|Place||Paris Arrondissement 16, France, 48n5146, 2e1634|
|Timezone||LMT m2e1634 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||09°23' 22°38 Asc. 14°06'|
French metallurgist who made important contributions to the research of stainless steels, especially the corrosion resistance of chromium steels and their use in the chemical industry. His discoveries and investigations covered many areas of metallurgy, including the hardening of light-alloy alloys. In collaboration with Henry Le Chatelier, he discovered the Portevin-Le-Chatelier effect.
Portevin studied chemistry at the École centrale des arts et manufactures in 1899, where he became professor of metallurgy in 1925. He also taught at other universities such as the École supérieure de fonderie et de forge. In 1907 he became editor of the journal Revue de métallurgie. With the participation of Henry Le Chatelier and Léon Guillet, this magazine gained a leading position in the field of metallurgy.
He died on 12 April 1962, aged 81, in Abano Terme, Italy.
- associate relationship with Guillet, Léon (born 11 July 1873)
- associate relationship with Le Chatelier, Henri Louis (born 8 October 1850)
Archives Gauquelin: Scientists & Medical Doctors (Hommes De Science) A, vol. 2, #2859 .
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 81)
- Vocation : Education : Teacher
- Vocation : Science : Chemistry (Metallurgist)
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor