Philipp II, Landgrave of Hesse-Rheinfels
|born on||22 April 1541 Jul.Cal. (2 May 1541 greg.) at 09:30 (= 09:30 AM )|
|Place||Marburg an der Lahn, Germany, 50n49, 8e46|
|Timezone||LMT m8e46 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||11°20' 27°15 Asc. 27°45'|
German nobleman, also called Philip the Younger (German: Philipp der Jüngere), who was the first Landgrave of Hesse-Rheinfels.
Philipp was the third son of Landgrave Philipp the Magnanimous and Christina of Saxony (1505–1549). After his father's death in 1567, the Landgraviate of Hesse was divided between the four sons out of the late landgrave's first marriage. Philipp the Younger received the portion around the castle Rheinfels and city of St. Goar on the left bank of the Rhine. From there he controlled the towns of Schotten, Stornfels, Bad Homburg, Lißberg, Ulrichstein, Itter, and the part of the former high noble and remarkably rich County of Katzenelnbogen north of the river Main.
In 1569 Philipp married Anna Elisabeth of Palatinate-Simmern, thereby becoming the son-in-law of the Elector Friedrich III, one of the leaders of Calvinism.
Philip died on 20 November 1583 [OS] at castle Rheinfels. As his marriage had remained childless, his territory fell to his elder brother Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). Philipp was buried in St. Goar, where Wilhelm erected an imposing Renaissance monument.
- child->parent relationship with Philipp I, Landgrave of Hesse (born 13 November 1504 (greg.))
- sibling relationship with Agnes, Electress of Saxony (born 31 May 1527 Jul.Cal. (10 June 1527 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Anna of Hesse, Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken (born 16 October 1529 Jul.Cal. (26 Oct 1529 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Barbara of Hesse, Duchess of Württemberg (born 16 April 1536 Jul.Cal. (26 Apr 1536 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christine of Hesse, Duchess of Holstein-Gottorp (born 29 June 1543 Jul.Cal. (9 July 1543 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Georg I, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 10 September 1547 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1547 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ludwig IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Marburg (born 27 May 1537 Jul.Cal. (6 June 1537 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel (born 24 June 1532 Jul.Cal. (4 July 1532 greg.))
- Relationship : Marriage 18 January 1569 Jul.Cal. (28 Jan 1569 greg.) (Anna Elisabeth of Palatinate-Simmern)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Death, Cause unspecified 20 November 1583 Jul.Cal. (30 Nov 1583 greg.) (Age 42)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes from Monimenta Hassiaca by Friederich Christoph Schmincke (Cramer, 1750), p. 337: "Philips Landgraff zu Heßen ist zu Marburg geboren A. D. 1541. den 22. Aprilis zwischen 9. und 10. Uhr."
(Philip the Landgrave was born at Marburg A. D. 1541 on 22 April between 9 and 10 o'clock). Whether AM or PM is not specified but by German style this should mean AM.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids none
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hesse-Kassel)