|Birthname||William Maxwell Evarts Perkins|
|born on||20 September 1884 at 07:00 (= 07:00 AM )|
|Place||Manhattan, New York, 40n46, 73w59|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°54' 10°56 Asc. 12°31'|
American editor who discovered prominent American writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thomas Wolfe and Ernest Hemingway during the first half of the 20th century.
After graduating from Harvard in 1907, Perkins used his connections and got a job as a reporter for the New York Times. In 1910, he went to work in the advertising department at Charles Scribner’s Sons publishing house, and in 1914, he joined their editorial staff. He was later promoted to editorial director and vice president.
Perkins was a risk-taker with a keen eye. He continually looked for new authors with talent and worked with them to get such novels published as Wolfe’s "Look Homeward, Angel," 1929. He always wore a hat, which added to his reputation as an eccentric, but the hat actually served a purpose. He used it to give unexpected visitors the impression that he was on his way out, which helped keep idle conversation to a minimum. It helped his hearing as well, by thrusting his ears forward.
Although he had a 25-year platonic love affair with Elizabeth Lemmon, a woman he described as the "ideal woman," he married his sweetheart, Louise Saunders, in 1910, and they had five daughters.
Perkins died from pneumonia on 17 June 1947 at age 62 in New Canaan, Connecticut.
- business associate/partner relationship with Fitzgerald, F. Scott (born 24 September 1896). Notes: Editor
- business associate/partner relationship with Hemingway, Ernest (born 21 July 1899). Notes: Editor
- business associate/partner relationship with Wolfe, Thomas (born 3 October 1900). Notes: Editor
- role played of/by Firth, Colin (born 10 September 1960). Notes: 2016 film "Genius"
- Social : End a program of study 1907 (Graduated from Harvard)
- Work : New Career 1910 (Advertising job)
- Relationship : Marriage 1910 (Louise Saunders)
- Work : New Job 1914 (Editorial staff)
Yoe Stein quotes a paperback book "Editor of Genius," 1978, p.132, where the data is given by Perkins' good friend, Elizabeth Lemmon.
- Traits : Body : Hair (Always wore a hat)
- Traits : Personality : Courageous (Risk-taker)
- Family : Relationship : Cohabitation more than 3 yrs (25-year platonic relationship with Elizabeth)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five daughters)
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (Vice-President)
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor (Editorial director)
- 1884 births
- Birthday 20 September
- Birthplace Manhattan, NY (US)
- Sun 27 Virgo
- Moon 10 Libra
- Asc 12 Libra
- 1947 deaths
- Traits : Body : Hair
- Traits : Personality : Courageous
- Family : Relationship : Cohabitation more than 3 yrs
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3
- Vocation : Business : Top executive
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor