Pedro V, King of Portugal
|born on||16 September 1837 at 23:15 (= 11:15 PM )|
|Place||Lisbon, Portugal, 38n43, 9w08|
|Timezone||LMT m9w08 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°51' 27°01 Asc. 04°22'|
King of Portugal from 1853 to 1861, nicknamed "the Hopeful" (Portuguese: o Esperançoso). He was the eldest son of Queen Maria II and her de jure uxoris co-monarch Ferdinand II and was born after his mother's accession. As heir apparent to the throne he was styled Prince Royal (Príncipe Real), and was also the 19th Duke of Braganza (Duque de Bragança). Pedro married Princess Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen by proxy in Berlin on 29 April 1858 and then in person in Lisbon on 18 May 1858. Their happy marriage ended when Queen Stephanie died a year later from diphtheria. Pedro V died on 11 November 1861 aged 24 without issue, so the Portuguese throne passed to his brother Louis (Luís).
- child->parent relationship with Maria II, Queen of Portugal (born 4 April 1819)
- spouse relationship with Estefânia, Queen Consort of Portugal (born 15 July 1837). Notes: 1858-1859
- sibling relationship with Antónia, Infanta of Portugal (born 17 February 1845)
- sibling relationship with Augusto, Duke of Coimbra (born 4 November 1847)
- sibling relationship with Fernando Maria Luís, Infante of Portugal (born 23 July 1846)
- sibling relationship with João, Duke of Beja (born 16 March 1842)
- sibling relationship with Luís I, King of Portugal (born 31 October 1838)
- sibling relationship with Maria Anna, Princess of Saxony (born 21 July 1843)
Sy Scholfield quotes from the Portuguese biography "D. Pedro V e o seu pensamento político, Volume 1" by Francisco Fortunato Queirós (Portucalensis Universitas, 1974), p. 1: "O Rei D. Pedro V nasceu às 23 horas e 30 minutos do dia 16 de Setembro de 1837, no Palácio das Necessidades, em Lisboa." Same data in "Epitome chronologico da historia dos reis de Portugal" by Jorge Cesar de Figaniere (Typ. da Sociedade propagadora dos conhecimentos uteis, 1838), p. 67: "a 16 de Setembro de 1837, pelas onze horas e meia da noite."
On 30 December 2016, Scholfield changed the time of this entry from 11:30pm to 11:15pm, having found a news report stating 11:15pm in "St. Petersburgische Zeitung," 28 Sep. 1837, p. 963: "am 16ten des Nachts um 11¼ Uhr."
Full name in Portuguese: Pedro de Alcântara Maria Fernando Miguel Rafael Gonzaga Xavier João António Leopoldo Víctor Francisco de Assis Júlio Amélio de Bragança e Bourbon Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (1)
- Personal : Death : Short Life less than 29 Yrs (Died aged 24)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Braganza)