|Birthname||Merlin Jay Olsen|
|born on||15 September 1940 at 01:30 (= 01:30 AM )|
|Place||Logan, Utah, 41n44, 111w50|
|Timezone||MST h7w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||22°20' 08°34 Asc. 27°26'|
American athlete, pro football player, sports analyst and actor, considered one of the greatest tackles in the history of the National Football League. He played his entire 15-year professional football career in NFL as a defensive tackle with the Los Angeles Rams (1962-1976).
At 6'5" (1.96 m) and 270 lb (122 kg), and a graduate of Utah State University where he shone on the college football team, he joined the Los Angeles Rams in 1962. He was named "Rookie of the Year." His strength and speed on the field established his place as one of the Fearsome Four in the early 1960s. He played with the same team for 15 years, picking up awards and honors including Most Valuable Player in 1974. No lightweight in brains or brawn he was one of the top football scholars in the college leagues. While playing for the Rams, he earned his master's degree in economics.
He retired from pro football in 1977 and promptly landed a spot as a commentator for NBC. In addition, he picked up an acting gig on "Little House on the Prairie" that lasted for several seasons of the popular television series. Continuing to act in other series, he also became face and voice of FTD, a florists' association, in their ad campaigns. In 1982 he was honored by induction into the Football Hall of Fame.
He was raised in a strict Mormon family with his eight siblings, three brothers and five sisters. Two of his brothers are also pro football players, Phil and Orrin. He and his wife raised three chldren.
He was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2009. He died early on 11 March 2010 in a Duarte, California hospital according to his brother as quoted in news reports.
- associate relationship with Bratkowski, Zeke (born 20 October 1931). Notes: Los Angeles Rams co-players, 1962-1963
- associate relationship with Brown, Roger (born 1 May 1937). Notes: Los Angeles Rams teammates, 1967-1969
- associate relationship with Crow, Lindon (born 4 April 1933). Notes: Los Angeles Rams co-players, 1962-1964
- associate relationship with Gabriel, Roman (born 5 August 1940). Notes: Los Angeles Rams teammates, 1962-1972
- associate relationship with Hunter, Art (born 24 April 1933). Notes: Los Angeles Rams co-players, 1962-1964
- associate relationship with Livingston, Cliff (born 2 July 1930). Notes: Los Angeles Rams teammates, 1963-1965
- associate relationship with McKeever, Marlin (born 1 January 1940). Notes: Los Angeles Rams teammates, 1962–1966, 1971–1972
- Work : New Career 1962 (Pro football)
- Work : Retired 1977 (From pro football)
- Work : Prize 1982 (Football Hall of Fame)
- Health : Medical diagnosis 2009 (Mesothelioma)
Steinbrecher Collection quotes Gauquelin Book of American Charts.
- Traits : Body : Constitution hardy (Football player)
- Traits : Body : Size (Height: 6 ft 5 in/ 1.96 m)
- Traits : Body : Weight (270 lb/ 122 kg)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : Radio/ D.J./ Announcer (Sports announcer)
- Vocation : Sports : Football (American football defensive tackle)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession (NFL player, 1962-1976)