|Birthname||Martin Brian Mulroney|
|born on||20 March 1939 at 22:17 (= 10:17 PM )|
|Place||Baie Comeau, Quebec (CAN), 49n13, 68w10|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||29°37' 00°19 Asc. 19°38'|
Canadian politician who served as the 18th prime minister of Canada from 1984 to 1993 representing the Progressive Conservative party. His tenure as prime minister was marked by the introduction of major economic reforms, such as the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and the Goods and Services Tax. Prior to his political career, he was a prominent lawyer and businessman in Montreal.
He was elected the Deputy of Nova Scotia on 29 August 1983. Mulroney became Prime Minister on 17 September 1984. He won his victory by a wide margin because of his ability to appeal to many Canadian Tories with his perfect bilingual French. He governed for eight years, emphasizing Canadian needs to do business on the global market. He made the North American Free Trade Agreement between the U.S., Mexico and Canada a priority in his government.
Despite his re-election in 1988, Mulroney's popularity began to sink in the opinion polls. Since the early 1990s, Canada suffered an economic crisis of soaring debt and an unemployment rate over 11 percent. On 24 February 1993, he resigned from office dogged by the three-year recession, bickering provinces and the French-English divisions and rivalries.
Mulroney was born in an isolated smelting town on Quebec's North Shore. He was the son of an electrician and attended St. Thomas Catholic High School in Chatham, New Brunswick at 14. In 1955, he went to St. Francis Xavier University and graduated with honors in arts and commerce in 1959. He went to Laval University and received his law degree in 1964.
As a lawyer, he discovered his gift for negotiating in labor relations. As a member of the Cliche Commission from 1974-1975, he was an investigator into the Quebec construction industry where corruption and violence were rampant. He won notoriety in Quebec with his successful exposure of wide scale corruption. In 1976, Mulroney became Vice-President of the Iron Ore Company. A year later, he became President of the company for six years.
Active in Conservative party politics since his years in college, Mulroney won his first election in 1984. He became Canada's 18th president and was inaugurated on 17 September 1984. Mulroney's landslide victory was geared for economics which were pro-business and pro-American. He was able to funnel more funds to the military on a modest level and strengthen Canadian visibility in NATO.
On the same day in 1993 that he resigned as Prime Minister, he also resigned as the leader of the party, going back into law for a big firm in Montreal.
Mulroney married Mila Pivnicki on 26 May 1973. His Serbian-born wife was instrumental in rallying supporters for her husband's election campaigns. The couple had one daughter and three sons: Caroline became the Ontario Minister of Transportation and Ontario Minister of Francophone Affairs, Ben is the host of CTV morning show Your Morning, while Mark and Nicolas both work in the financial industry in Toronto.
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Turner, John (born 7 June 1929)
- (has as) worker relationship with Bouchard, Lucien (born 22 December 1938)
- (has as) worker relationship with Campbell, Kim (born 10 March 1947)
- (has as) worker relationship with Masse, Marcel (born 27 May 1936)
- Social : Begin a program of study 1955 (Began college)
- Social : End a program of study 1959 (Graduated college)
- Social : End a program of study 1964 (Received law degree)
- Work : New Job 1976 (Vice President, Iron Ore Company)
- Work : Gain social status 1977 (Became President, Iron Ore Company)
Sy Scholfield cites mother's diary quoted by Mulroney in his "Memoirs" (McClelland & Stewart, 2011): "It was in Baie-Comeau, on March 20, 1939, that I was born at the Boisvert Hospital and was baptized Martin Brian. My mother chronicled my birth and early days in her faithful diary: 'Baby Brian arrived on Monday evening March 20th at 10:17...'"
Previously this entry had 7:47am with the following notes: Jacquelin Delacroix quotes his mom to their astrology group in MH 1/1985. Same data from James Elliot from Mulroney's Press Secretary who called his mom.
(Dobyns quotes Robin Armstrong for 12:00 PM "from his mom." Michel Morin quotes a letter from him, "It is impossible to exactly determine the precise hour but it was the beginning of the afternoon" given in AFA DX 1984.)
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (Earned J.D.)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted
- Lifestyle : Work : Stressful work
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Western (Christian, Catholic)
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (Pres/V.P., Iron Ore Company)
- Vocation : Law : Attorney
- Vocation : Politics : Heads of state (Canadian P.M.)
- Vocation : Politics : Public office (Deputy Of Nova Scotia)