|Birthname||Franklin Fowler Wolff|
|born on||11 July 1887 at 14:00 (= 2:00 PM )|
|Place||Pasadena, California, 34n09, 118w09|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||19°13' 04°14 Asc. 12°48'|
American mystic and esoteric philosopher whose notable works include Pathways Through To Space and The Philosophy of Consciousness Without an Object (both published in 1973). After formal education in philosophy and mathematics at Stanford and Harvard, Wolff devoted himself to the goal of transcending the normal limits of human consciousness. After exploring various mystical teachings and paths, he dedicated himself to the path of jnana yoga and the writings of Shankara, the expounder of the Advaita Vedanta school of Hindu philosophy.
In 1920, Wolff married Sarah Merrell Briggs. The couple joined their original surnames; hence Wolff became Franklin Merrell-Wolff. Merrell-Wolff and his wife founded an esoteric group called the Assembly of Man in 1928, which congregated in an ashram in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Mount Whitney. Sarah Merrell-Wolff, also known as Sherifa, died in 1959. Franklin Merrell-Wolff remarried and lived the rest of his life in the mountains until his death in Inyo, California, on 4 October 1985 at age 98.
- Relationship : Marriage 1920 (Sarah Merrell Briggs)
- Death of Mate 1959 (Sarah Merrell-Wolff)
Forum member osokin quotes from his granddaughter's biography, Franklin Merrell-Wolff: an American Philosopher and Mystic: A Personal Memoir by Doroethy B. Leonard (Xlibris, 2016): "Franklin Fowler Wolff was born on July 11, 1887. He began his life in this world by showing consideration for others by not arriving until two o’clock in the afternoon. His parents had recently moved to Pasadena, California."
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Eastern (Hindu)
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Metaphysical
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Mystical experience
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Philosopher/ Humanist
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 98)
- Vocation : Education : Teacher (Briefly taught maths)
- Vocation : Humanities+Social Sciences : Philosopher
- Vocation : Religion : Metaphysical (Mystic)
- Vocation : Science : Mathematics/ Statistics
- Vocation : Writers : Religion/ Philosophy