Mercedes, Princess of Asturias
|Birthname||María de las Mercedes|
|born on||11 September 1880 at 20:40 (= 8:40 PM )|
|Place||Madrid, Spain, 40n24, 3w41|
|Timezone||LMT m3w41 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||19°27' 20°49 Asc. 19°20'|
Spanish princess, the eldest daughter of King Alfonso XII and his second wife, Maria Christina of Austria. She was for all 24 years of her life, Princess of Asturias, the heiress presumptive to the Crown of Spain. Princess Mercedes married in Madrid on 14 February 1901, her second cousin, Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, a nephew of the King of the then-defunct Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, who was elevated to the rank of Infante of Spain. The marriage was highly controversial due to the Prince's father ties with the Carlist. She died three years later on 17 October 1904 from complication while giving birth to her third child. She was succeeded by her infant son Alfonso.
- parent->child relationship with Alfonso, Duke of Calabria (born 30 November 1901)
- parent->child relationship with Isabel Alfonsa, Princess of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (born 16 October 1904)
- child->parent relationship with Alfonso XII, King of Spain (born 28 November 1857)
- child->parent relationship with Maria Christina, Queen Consort of Spain (born 21 July 1858)
- spouse relationship with Carlo, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (born 10 November 1870). Notes: Married 1901-1904, three children
- sibling relationship with Alfonso XIII, King of Spain (born 17 May 1886)
- sibling relationship with Maria Teresa, Infanta of Spain (born 12 November 1882)
Sy Scholfield quotes "The Heiress to the Spanish Crown," Sydney Mail, 13 November 1880, p. 7: "The Queen of Spain was safely delivered of a daughter at 8,40 p.m. on September 11th, in Madrid."
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies)