|Birthname||Andrew William Mellon|
|born on||24 March 1855|
|Place||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 40n26, 80w00|
|Timezone||LMT m80w00 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||03°31' or|
American banker, businessman, industrialist, philanthropist, art collector, and politician. From the wealthy Mellon family of Pennsylvania, he established a vast business empire before transitioning into politics. He served as United States Secretary of the Treasury from 9 March 1921 to 12 February 1932, presiding over the boom years of the 1920s and the Wall Street crash of 1929. Leaving office after the onset of the Great Depression, he briefly served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom. A conservative Republican, Mellon lowered taxes and government spending in the aftermath of World War I.
During his retirement years, as he had done in earlier years, Mellon was an active philanthropist, and gave generously of his private fortune to support art and research causes. In 1937, he donated his substantial art collection, collected at a cost of $25 million and valued at $40 million, plus $10 million for construction, to establish the National Gallery of Art on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
He died of pneumonia and uremia "shortly before eight-thirty on the evening" of 26 August 1937, aged 82, in Southampton, Long Island, New York.
- sibling relationship with Mellon, Richard (born 19 March 1858)
- Death, Cause unspecified 26 August 1937 at 8:20 PM in Southampton (Pneumonia and uremia, age 82)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Birth time unknown. Penfield speculated for 13.40 LMT. Starkman rectified to 14.10.45 LMT Asc 16Leo06'
Sy Scholfield quotes from Mellon: An American Life by David Cannadine (Vintage, 2008): "Pittsburgh grew bigger ... Andrew William Mellon [was] born [there] on March 24, 1855" (p. 24), "Eventually he succumbed to bronchial pneumonia and uremia: he died shortly before eight-thirty on the evening of August 26, 1937." (pp. 578-579).
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Pneumonia
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Sixth of eight)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field
- Lifestyle : Financial : Invest/ Collectibles (Art)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 82)
- Vocation : Business : Banker/ Financier
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ political