Medici, Cosimo II de
|born on||12 May 1590 (greg.) at 01:00 (= 01:00 AM )|
|Place||Florence, Italy, 43n46, 11e15|
|Timezone||LMT m11e15 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||20°47' 26°51 Asc. 15°51'|
Grand Duke of Tuscany from 1609 until 1621. He was the elder son of the then incumbent Grand Duke and Christina of Lorraine. He married Maria Magdalena of Austria, and had eight children. For most of his eleven-year reign, he delegated the administration of Tuscany to his ministers. He is best remembered as the patron of Galileo Galilei, his childhood tutor. He died of tuberculosis on 28 February 1621.
- parent->child relationship with Medici, Ferdinando II de (born 14 July 1610 (greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Medici, Ferdinando I de (born 30 July 1549 Jul.Cal. (9 Aug 1549 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Medici, Carlo de (born 19 March 1595 (greg.))
- (has as) benefactor relationship with Galileo, Galilei (born 16 February 1564 Jul.Cal. (26 Feb 1564 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Oroscopi e cannocchiali: Galileo, gli astrologi e la nuova scienza" by Andrea Albini (Avverbi, 2008), p. 68: "La data coincide con la nascita di Cosimo II: gli archivi della famiglia Medici registrano infatti che il granduca nacque 'alle ore 1 di notte del 12 maggio 1590, giorno di S. Neri Arcilei e fu battezzato dal Cardinale Alessandro de' Medici.'"
Translation: The date coincides with the birth of Cosimo II: the archives of the Medici family recorded that the Grand Duke was born "at one at night on 12 May 1590, the day of St. Nereus and Achilleus and was baptized by Cardinal Alessandro de Medici."
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (8 children)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Medici)