|Birthname||Margaretha Geertruida Zelle|
|born on||7 August 1876 at 13:00 (= 1:00 PM )|
|Place||Leeuwarden, Netherlands, 53n12, 5e48|
|Timezone||LMT m5e48 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||15°16' 10°32 Asc. 12°06'|
Dutch prostitute and exotic dancer who also served as a spy. The daughter of a merchant, in her younger years Margaretha was expelled from convent school for sleeping with a priest and, at the age of 18, moved to Java with MacLeod, her 40-year-old husband. They married on 11 July 1895. The couple had a violent marriage and one of their two kids died. She left her husband and returned to Europe in 1905 where, as an exotic dancer, a nude belly dancer, she went to Paris to work in a brothel.
She also attended German espionage school, but was arrested as a double agent when she delivered a message on German submarine activity to the French embassy. She was arrested on 13 February 1917 and placed on trial on 25 August 1917 for treason. Convicted, she was executed by firing squad on 15 October 1917, 5:00 AM*, Vincennes, France. On the morning of her execution, she put on her stockings, dressed in a pearl-gray frock, slung a coat over her shoulders, buttoned her boots, put on a dark tricorned hat with a veil and glove. "This lady knows how to die," said the sergeant major who helped her. "After the shots were fired, she crumpled in a heap of petticoats."
The famed figure returned to the news 84 years after her death when historian Leon Schirmann, who has spent a decade researching the case, put out his second book about Mata Hari in late October 2001. He finds that documents show French falsification of the records and that instead of a major spy for the Germans, Gertrude Zelle was an elegant but naive adventuress, essentially the first strip-tease dancer. At the outbreak of WW I, she was offered cash up-front for a German mission but turned out to be neither a very good dancer or spy. With the codename of H21 she returned to Paris, spent the money and did precious little else, Schirmann writes.
- associate relationship with Khan, Noor Inayat (born 1 January 1914). Notes: Played in the orchestra of Mata Hari, both women were executed as spies.
- lover relationship with Guimet, Emile (born 2 June 1836). Notes: His long-time mistress
- other kin relationship with Zelle, Johannes Hendrikus (born 6 April 1907)
- role played of/by Garbo, Greta (born 18 September 1905). Notes: 1931 film "Mata Hari"
- role played of/by Giocante, Vahina (born 30 June 1981). Notes: 2017 Russian-Portuguese TV series "Mata Hari"
- role played of/by Kristel, Sylvia (born 28 September 1952). Notes: 1985 film "Mata Hari"
- role played of/by Moreau, Jeanne (born 23 January 1928). Notes: 1964 film "Mata Hari, Agent H21"
- Death of Mother 1891
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1906 (Rudolf John MacLeod)
- Death by Execution 15 October 1917 at 06:15 AM in Vincennes (Firing squad, age 41)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
B.R. in hand from Steinbrecher, from the Gemeente Archief Leeuwarden. Sy Scholfield later provided original entry from birth registry (no. 560).
(Craswell quotes "The Measure Of Life," p. 202, same. T.P. Davis quotes Douglas Lannark of Copenhagen for 12:34 PM. Circle No.344, quotes biographer Wertenbaker, "Eye Of The Lion," for 1878. Britannica has 8/07/1876. PC quotes Astarte for 2:00 PM.)
Biography: Julie Wheelwright, "The Fatal Lover: Mata Hari and the Myth of Women in Espionage," Trafalgar/Collins & Brown, 1993. There are about 30 biographies written about her.
- The time of death is recorded as 6:15am on death certificate in Didier Geslain archive, 'm' pdf file, p. 107.
- Family : Childhood : Disadvantaged (Her father went bankrupt in 1889)
- Family : Childhood : Parents divorced
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Domestic violence (Victim)
- Family : Parenting : Kids -Traumatic event (Child killed (poisoned by servant))
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Executed (Firing Squad)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Circus/ Animal acts (Circus horse rider, "Lady MacLeod")
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher (Belly dancer)
- Vocation : Law : Spy/ Counter agent
- Vocation : Sex Business : Exotic Dancers (Strip-tease dancer)
- Vocation : Sex Business : Prostitute/ Pimp (Courtesan)
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure (Spy, romantic figure, movies about her)
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women