|Birthname||Dorothy Erma Corn|
|born on||5 May 1921 at 03:24 (= 03:24 AM )|
|Place||San Francisco, California, 37n47, 122w25|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||14°24' 14°31 Asc. 02°15'|
American author and lesbian activist, she and partner Phyllis Lyon worked and lived together for over 50 years until Martin's death in 2008.
The two women met in 1950 and moved in together in 1953. They founded Daughters of Bilitis, an organization that sought to promote rights for lesbians and educate the public into acceptance of gay women. With Lyon, Martin advocated for lesbian rights throughout her life.
She was first married for four years to James Martin (from 1940 to 1944) and retained his name after their divorce. She had one daughter, Kendra Mon.
Martin and Lyon were married on 12 February 2004 in the first same-sex wedding to take place in San Francisco after Mayor Gavin Newsom ordered the city clerk to begin providing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, but that marriage was voided by the California Supreme Court on 12 August 2004. They married again on 16 June 2008, in the first same-sex wedding to take place in San Francisco after the California Supreme Court's decision in In re Marriage Cases legalized same-sex marriage in California. In ill health at age 87, Martin died of complications from a bone fracture two months later, on 27 August 2008 in San Francisco.
- associate relationship with Gittings, Barbara (born 31 July 1932)
- friend relationship with Gearhart, Sally Miller (born 15 April 1931)
- spouse relationship with Lyon, Phyllis (born 10 November 1924). Notes: 2008
- role played of/by O'Donnell, Rosie (born 21 March 1962). Notes: O'Donnell plays Martin in 2017 docudrama "When We Rise"
- Relationship : Meet a significant person 1950 (Phyllis Lyon)
- Relationship : Begin significant relationship 1952 (Phyllis Lyon)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1955 (Daughters of Bilitis)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1972 ("Lesbian/Woman," co-written with Phyllis Lyon)
- Relationship : Marriage 12 February 2004 (Phyllis Lyon, marriage later voided)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Steinbrecher quotes her/birth certificate in returned information form.
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Bone (Fracture leading to death)
- Family : Relationship : Cohabitation more than 3 yrs (58 years with Phyllis Lyon)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Phyllis Lyon)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (One daughter)
- Passions : Sexuality : Lesbian (Lesbian activist)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Complications of an arm bone fracture and other illnesses)
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ social (Lesbian activist)
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ feminist
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction