Marie, Pierre (1853)
|born on||9 September 1853 at 05:30 (= 05:30 AM )|
|Place||Paris, France, 48n52, 2e20|
|Timezone||LMT m2e20 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||16°24' 01°16 Asc. 15°56'|
French neurologist whose name is associated with the eponymous Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease, being named along with Jean-Martin Charcot and Howard Henry Tooth (1856–1925). This disease is characterized by gradual progressive loss of distal muscle tissue in the arms and feet. It is considered the most common disease within a group of conditions known as "hereditary motor and sensory neuropathies" (HMSN).
One of Marie's earlier contributions was a description of a disorder of the pituitary gland known as acromegaly. His analysis of the disease was an important contribution in the emerging field of endocrinology. Marie is also credited as the first to describe pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, cleidocranial dysostosis and rhizomelic spondylosis. In his extensive research of aphasia, his views concerning language disorders sharply contrasted the generally accepted views of Paul Broca (1824–1880). In 1907, he was the first person to describe the speech production disorder of foreign accent syndrome.
He died on 13 April 1940, aged 86, in Paris.
- associate relationship with Alajouanine, Théophile (born 12 June 1890). Notes: "Marie-Foix-Alajouanine syndrome"
- associate relationship with Charcot, Jean-Martin (born 29 November 1825). Notes: "Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease"
- associate relationship with Foix, Charles (born 28 February 1882). Notes: "Marie-Foix-Alajouanine syndrome"
- associate relationship with Lewandowsky, Max (born 28 June 1876)
- associate relationship with Meige, Henry (born 11 February 1866)
Grazia Bordoni's Science database quotes Lescaut.
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (MD)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 86)
- Vocation : Medical : Physician (Neurologist)
- Vocation : Science : Biology (Endocrinologist)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Science)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator ("Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease," etc.)
- 1853 births
- Birthday 9 September
- Birthplace Paris, FR
- Sun 16 Virgo
- Moon 1 Sagittarius
- Asc 15 Virgo
- 1940 deaths
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs
- Vocation : Medical : Physician
- Vocation : Science : Biology
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator