Maria Pavlovna, Grand Duchess of Russia (1854)
|Birthname||Marie Alexandrine Elisabeth Eleonore / Mecklenburg|
|born on||14 May 1854 at 19:45 (= 7:45 PM )|
|Place||Ludwigslust, Germany, 53n19, 11e30|
|Timezone||LMT m11e30 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°36' 23°11 Asc. 23°45'|
German duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin by birth, and by marriage a Grand Duchess of Russia, called "Miechen" or "Maria Pavlovna the Elder." A prominent hostess in St Petersburg following her marriage to the Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia, she was known as the grandest of the grand duchesses and had an open rivalry with the Empress Maria Feodorovna. The Grand Duchess Maria was the last of the Romanovs to escape Revolutionary Russia, as well as the first to die in exile.
She was a daughter of Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Princess Augusta of Reuss-Köstritz. She was eight years old when her mother died in 1862. Her father married twice more.
She married the third son of Alexander II of Russia, Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia (1847–1909), her second cousin, on 28 August 1874, being one of the very few princesses with Slavic patriline to ever marry a male dynast of the Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov. Upon her marriage she took the Russian name of Maria Pavlovna of Russia - the name she is best known by. As a result of marrying a son of an Emperor of Russia, she took on a new style Her Imperial Highness; the couple had four sons and one daughter.
The Grand Duchess had a passion for jewels, and her renowned collection included a 100 carat emerald once owned by Catherine the Great and the 5 carat ruby of Josephine de Beauharnais. Some of her emeralds were purchased by Barbara Hutton, and later by actress Elizabeth Taylor, who had them recut.
She died on 6 September 1920, aged 66, surrounded by her family at Contrexéville, France.
Her great-granddaughter, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, is the current claimant to the headship of the House of Romanov.
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia (born 26 November 1847)
- parent->child relationship with Cyril Vladimirovich, Grand Duke of Russia (born 30 September 1876 Jul.Cal. (12 Oct 1876 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Elena Vladimirovna, Grand Duchess of Russia (born 29 January 1882)
- sibling relationship with Adolf Friedrich, Duke of Mecklenburg (born 10 October 1873). Notes: Half-siblings
- sibling relationship with Anna, Duchess of Mecklenburg (born 7 April 1865). Notes: Half sisters
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Alexandrine, Duchess of Mecklenburg (born 10 August 1869). Notes: Half sisters
- sibling relationship with Friedrich Franz III, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg (born 19 March 1851)
- sibling relationship with Hendrik, Prince Consort of the Netherlands (born 19 April 1876). Notes: Half-siblings
- sibling relationship with Johann Albrecht, Duke of Mecklenburg (born 8 December 1857)
- sibling relationship with Paul Friedrich, Duke of Mecklenburg (born 19 September 1852)
- Relationship : Marriage 28 August 1874 (Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Death of Mate 17 February 1909 (Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield forwarded news report from "Leipziger Zeitung," 18 May 1854, p. 4: "Mecklenburg. Schwerin, 14. Mai. Heute Abend um 7¾ Uhr ist Ihre königliche Hoheit die Frau Großherzogin Augufte von einer gefunden Prinzesfin glücklich entbunden worden, und wurde dieses dem großherzoglichen Hause, wie dem ganzen Lande erfreuliche Ereigniß heute Abend in Schwerin und Ludwigsluft durch den Donner der Kanonen verkündet. (Meckl. Z.)."
(Mecklenburg. Schwerin, 14 May. This evening at seven-forty-five o'clock, Her Royal Highness the Grand Duchess Auguste, was happily delivered of a Princess, and this joyous event at the Grand Ducal house was announced to the whole country in Schwerin and Ludwigslust by the thunder of cannonfire this evening (Meckl[enburg] Z[eitung])).
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Other Psychological (Gambler)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (34 years)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Collector (Jewels)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, by birth)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov, by marriage)
- Notable : Famous : Socialite ('Grandest of the grand duchesses')