Maria II, Queen of Portugal
|Birthname||Maria da Glória|
|born on||4 April 1819 at 17:00 (= 5:00 PM )|
|Place||Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 22s53, 43w0613|
|Timezone||LMT m43w0613 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||14°13' 07°39 Asc. 26°23'|
Queen regnant of the Kingdom of Portugal and the Algarves from 1826 to 1828 and again from 1834 to 1853. She was known as "the Educator" (Portuguese: "a Educadora") or "the Good Mother" (Portuguese: "a Boa Mãe").
Maria was the daughter of the future King of Portugal and first Emperor of Brazil, Pedro IV and I and his first wife Maria Leopoldina, Archduchess of Austria, herself a daughter of Emperor Francis II. Maria is the only European monarch to have been born outside Europe, though she was born in Portuguese territory.
On 26 January 1835, Maria married, at the age of fifteen, Auguste, Duke of Leuchtenberg, son of Eugène de Beauharnais, and grandson of Empress Josephine. However, he died only two months later on 28 March 1835. On 1 January 1836, she married Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Maria died in Lisbon 15 November 1853 aged 34, while giving birth to their eleventh child, Princess Anna, who also died.
- parent->child relationship with Antónia, Infanta of Portugal (born 17 February 1845)
- parent->child relationship with Augusto, Duke of Coimbra (born 4 November 1847)
- parent->child relationship with Fernando Maria Luís, Infante of Portugal (born 23 July 1846)
- parent->child relationship with João, Duke of Beja (born 16 March 1842)
- parent->child relationship with Luís I, King of Portugal (born 31 October 1838)
- parent->child relationship with Maria Anna, Princess of Saxony (born 21 July 1843)
- parent->child relationship with Pedro V, King of Portugal (born 16 September 1837)
- child->parent relationship with Maria Leopoldine, Archduchess of Austria (born 22 January 1797)
- child->parent relationship with Pedro I, Emperor of Brazil (born 12 October 1798)
- spouse relationship with Auguste de Beauharnais, Prince Consort of Portugal (born 9 December 1810). Notes: 1834-1835
- sibling relationship with Januária, Princess of Brazil (born 11 March 1822)
- sibling relationship with Maria Amélia, Princess of Brazil (born 1 December 1831)
- sibling relationship with Pedro II, Emperor of Brazil (born 2 December 1825)
Sy Scholfield quotes from "O Panorama, Volumes 11-12" (1854), p. 132: "D'este feliz consorcio o primeiro e desejado fructo foi a senhora D. Maria II, nascida no palácio de S. Christovão, suburbano da cidade do Rio de Janeiro, em domingo de Ramos, 4 de abril de 1819, pelas cinco horas da tarde."
Translation: Maria II, born in the palace of S. Christovão in Rio de Janeiro on Palm Sunday, 4 April 1819, at five o'clock in the evening.
Same data in "A Imperatriz Leopoldina: sua vida e sua época: ensaio de uma biografia" by Oberacker Jr. (Conselho Federal de Cultura, 1973), p. 184: "no dia 4 de abril de 1819, domingo «às cinco horas da tarde, três grandes girândolas soltas do Morro do Castelo anunciavam aos habitantes do Rio de Janeiro o nascimento de D. Maria da Glória» (Debret, II, p. 75)."
Translation: on 4 April 1819, Sunday 'at five o'clock in the afternoon, three large loose girândolas on Castle Hill announced to the inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro the birth of Maria da Glória" (Debret, II, p. 75).
Full name: Maria da Glória Joana Carlota Leopoldina da Cruz Francisca Xavier de Paula Isidora Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (2)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (9 live births, 2 stillborn)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Braganza)