Maria I, Queen of Portugal
|born on||17 December 1734 at 18:00 (= 6:00 PM )|
|Place||Lisbon, Portugal, 38n43, 9w08|
|Timezone||LMT m9w08 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||25°43' 01°42 Asc. 14°28'|
Queen of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves who reigned from 24 February 1777 until her death on 20 March 1816. Known as Maria the Pious (in Portugal), or Maria the Mad (in Brazil), she was the first undisputed Queen regnant of Portugal. With Napoleon's European conquests, her court, then under the direction of Prince Dom João, the Prince Regent, moved to the then Portuguese colony of Brazil. Later on, Brazil would be elevated from the rank of a colony to that of a Kingdom, with the consequential formation of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves.
In 1760 Maria married her uncle Pedro, younger brother of her father Jose I. They had six children, of whom the eldest surviving son succeeded Maria as João VI on her death in 1816.
- parent->child relationship with João VI, King of Portugal (born 13 May 1767)
- parent->child relationship with José, Prince of Brazil (born 21 August 1761)
- parent->child relationship with Mariana Vitória, Infanta of Portugal (born 15 December 1768)
- child->parent relationship with José I, King of Portugal (born 6 June 1714)
- child->parent relationship with Mariana Vitória, Queen Consort of Portugal (born 30 March 1718)
- spouse relationship with Pedro III, King of Portugal (born 5 July 1717). Notes: 1760-1786
Sy Scholfield quotes from "D. Maria I, 1777-1792: subsidios para a revisão da história do seu reinado" by Caetano Beirão (Emprêsa nacional de publicidade, 1944), p. 29: "REINAVA grande ansiedade no paço, naquela sexta-feira, 17 de Dezembro de 1734. A Princezinha do Brasil - <la Marianina>, como em Espanha lhe chamavam - com 16 anos apenas, ia enfim dar successao ao herdeiro do trono de Portugal. E, pelas 6 horas da tarde dêsse dia, a formosa filha de Filipe V, dava à luz..."
Translation: Great anxiety reigned in the palace, that Friday, 17 December 1734, as the Princess of Brazil - "la Marianina", as she was known in Spain - at only 16 years old, was finally providing a successor, an heir to the throne of Portugal. And by 6 pm that day, the beautiful daughter of Filipe V, had given birth ...
Full name: Maria Francisca Isabel Josefa Antónia Gertrudes Rita Joana.
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (25 years)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Seven)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Braganza, Portugal)