|born on||26 November 1911 at 09:00 (= 09:00 AM )|
|Place||Amiens, France, 49n54, 2e18|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||03°00' 03°08 Asc. 21°38'|
French quasi-supercentenarian cyclist who was the holder of the world record for cycling 100 km and for the distance cycled in one hour, in both the 100–105 and over-105 years old age categories.
Marchand, a former firefighter, shoe and wine seller, bought his first bicycle when he was 66 years old (although he won his first race at 14). Also gymnast, he specialized in the human pyramid. He became famous when he cycled 24 km in one hour on 2 February 2012 at age 100. He established another record when he cycled 100 km in Lyon on 28 September 2012 in 4 hours 17 minutes.
On 31 January 2014, he reached 27 km (26.927) per hour in St-Quentin-en-Yvelines. On 4 January 2017, aged 105, he covered 22.547.
According to physicians, his small size (1.50 m/ 4 ft 11 in) represented a big advantage. He had the heart of a man aged 50! On 10 January 2018, he decided to retire because of arterial hypertension. After his 108th birthday, he stopped riding (due to hearing loss).
He was a member of the French Communist Party and the CGT Trade Union, the longest-serving living member, with 90 years of membership. At the time of his death was one of the oldest remaining World War II veterans.
Marchand died at age 109 on 22 May 2021 in a nursing home in an outer suburb of Paris.
- associate relationship with Pérignon, Henri (born 14 October 1879)
- compare to chart of Boudeville, Jean-Paul (born 26 November 1918)
- Work : Great Achievement 17 February 2012 (World record for 1-hour cycling by centenarians)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
By email, Paddy de Jabrun quotes birth certificate.
- Traits : Body : Size (1.50 m/ 4 ft 11 in)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Venezuela, Canada)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Centenarian, age 109)
- Vocation : Business/Marketing : Sales (Shoes and wine)
- Vocation : Law : Fire department
- Vocation : Military : POW/ MIA (POW, WWII)
- Vocation : Politics : Labor unions
- Vocation : Sports : Race Bikes (Cyclist)
- Vocation : Travel : Trucking business (Driver)
- Vocation : Misc. : Outdoor vocations (Gardener)
- Notable : Famous : First in Field (100-year-old cyclist)