|Birthname||Alan Charles Maclaurin Mackerras|
|born on||17 November 1925 at 00:45 (= 12:45 AM )|
|Place||Schenectady, New York, 42n49, 73w56|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||24°22' 06°49 Asc. 12°59'|
Australian conductor, an authority on the operas of Janáček and Mozart, and the comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan. He was long associated with the English National Opera (and its predecessor) and Welsh National Opera and was the first Australian chief conductor of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. He also specialized in Czech music as a whole, producing many recordings for the Czech label Supraphon.
Mackerras was born in the USA to Australian parents, Alan Mackerras and Catherine MacLaurin. His father was an electrical engineer and a Quaker. In 1928, when Charles was aged two, the family returned to Sydney, Australia. They initially lived in the suburb of Rose Bay, and in 1933 they moved to the then semi-rural suburb of Turramurra. Mackerras was the eldest of seven children. His siblings were Alastair (1928–1999), Neil (1930–1987), Joan (1934-2020), Elisabeth (b. 1937) and twins Malcolm and Colin (b. 1939). They are descendants of the pioneer Australian musician Isaac Nathan. Mackerras studied violin at the age of seven and later the flute. He was setting poems to music at eight and wrote a piano concerto when he was 12.
Mackerras died in London on 14 July 2010 at the age of 84, having suffered from cancer. He was survived by his wife, Judy (1922-2014) and their daughter, Catherine.
- sibling relationship with Mackerras, Alastair (born 16 October 1928)
Sy Scholfield quotes Mackerras's data from a document, "More Oz Birth Data," compiled by Dennis Sutton, stating source as "From him to Susan Alexander."
- Traits : Mind : Child prodigy (Music)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Terminal)
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged
- Family : Childhood : Family large (One of seven children)
- Family : Childhood : Family noted
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Eldest of seven)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Cancer)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 84)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Conductor