Ludwig August, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
|Birthname||Ludwig August Maria Eudes|
|born on||9 August 1845 at 11:30 (= 11:30 AM )|
|Place||Eu, France, 50n03, 1e25|
|Timezone||LMT m1e25 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||16°40' 28°19 Asc. 28°51'|
German prince of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry and an imperial Brazilian Admiral, known in Brazil as Dom Luís Augusto.
He was the second son of Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Clémentine of Orléans. Through his mother he was a grandson of Louis-Philippe I, King of the French, the last king to rule France.
Ludwig August and his double first cousin, the French Prince Gaston, comte d'Eu (son of Victoire, sister of August's father) were imported to Brazil in order to marry the two daughters of the Emperor Pedro II of Brazil: Isabel, the elder, and Leopoldina, the younger. The original plan was for August to marry Isabel and Gaston Leopoldina, but the girls decided otherwise and the Emperor, having himself experienced the unhappinesses of an arranged dynastic marriage, agreed to their wishes.
Ludwig August and Leopoldina married in Rio de Janeiro on 15 December 1864, two months after the wedding of Isabel and Gaston. They had four sons. His wife died young, aged 23, in 1871.
He died on 14 September 1907 in Karlsbad, Germany, aged 62.
- child->parent relationship with Clémentine, Princess of Orléans (born 3 June 1817)
- spouse relationship with Leopoldina, Princess of Brazil (born 13 July 1847). Notes: 1864-1871
- sibling relationship with Philipp, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (born 28 March 1844)
- other kin relationship with Louis Philippe I, Duke of Orléans (born 12 May 1725). Notes: Grandkin
- has other family relationship with Isabel, Princess Dona (born 29 July 1846). Notes: Siblings-in-law
Sy Scholfield forwarded birth certificate n°1811 from the online Seine-Maritime departmental archives, image 104/155.
Same data from "Augsburger Postzeitung: 1845, 7 - 12: "Paris, 11. August. Die Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg (Clementine, Gemahlin des Prinzen August) ist vorgestern um halb 12 Uhr Vormittags auf dem Schlosse zu Eu glücklich von einem Prinzen entbunden worden" (translation: Paris, August 11th. The Princess of Saxony-Coburg (Clementine, wife of Prince August) was happily delivered of a prince at half past eleven in the morning at Eu castle the day before yesterday); and from "Baierscher Eilbote" (1845), p. 808: "Paris, 11. Aug. Die Prinzessin Clementine von Sachsen-Coburg ist am 9. Aug., Vormittags 11 Uhr, von einem Prinzen glücklich entbunden worden" (translation: Paris, Aug. 11. The Princess Clementine of Saxony-Coburg was happily delivered of a prince on the morning of August 9th, at 11 am).
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four sons)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry)