Ludwig, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine
|Birthname||Ludwig Hermann Alexander Chlodwig|
|born on||20 November 1908 at 10:45 (= 10:45 AM )|
|Place||Darmstadt, Germany, 49n53, 8e40|
|Timezone||CET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°41' 16°18 Asc. 02°44'|
German prince, titled Prince Louis in English, he was the youngest son of Ernest Louis (Ernst Ludwig), Grand Duke of Hesse and his second wife, Princess Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich. He was a nephew of Empress Alexandra, wife of Emperor Nicholas II (or Nikolai II) of Russia.
He succeeded his brother Georg Donatus as the titular Grand Duke of Hesse after his brother's death on 16 November 1937 in a plane crash. He married Irish-born Margaret Campbell Geddes daughter of Auckland Campbell Geddes, 1st Baron Geddes in 1937, on the day after the crash, in which his mother, brother, sister-in-law, and nephews were all killed. They had no issue, although, after the death of his older brother, he adopted his niece, Johanna (b. 1936) but the little girl died in 1939.
In 1960 Prince Ludwig adopted his distant cousin Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse (1926-2013). In 1964 he stood as godfather to newborn Prince Edward. He died on 30 May 1968 at age 59 in Frankfurt am Main.
- friend relationship with Britten, Benjamin (born 22 November 1913)
- child->parent relationship with Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (born 25 November 1868)
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine (born 11 March 1895)
- sibling relationship with Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse (born 8 November 1906)
- other kin relationship with Edward, Prince (Earl of Wessex) (born 10 March 1964). Notes: Godkin
Sy Scholfield quotes from Verhandlungen in der Ersten Kammer der Landstände des grossherzogthums Hessen (1911): "16. dezember 1908 ... Unsere innigstgeliebte Gemahlin, die Durchlauchtigste Frau Eleonore Ernestine Marie Großherzogin von Hessen und bei Rhein, Königliche Hoheit und Liebden, sind am 20. vorigen Monats, vormittags 10 3/4 Uhr, dahier von einem Prinzen glücklich entbunden worden."
(Translation: 16 December 1908... Our dearly beloved wife, the Most Serene Mrs. Eleonore Ernestine Marie, Grand Duchess of Hesse and the Rhine, Your Royal Highness, was happily delivered of a prince on the 20th of last month at 10:45 o'clock in the morning).
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Foster, Step, or Adopted Kids (Two adopted)
- Family : Parenting : Kids none
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hesse-Darmstadt)