Luís I, King of Portugal
|born on||31 October 1838 at 23:30 (= 11:30 PM )|
|Place||Lisbon, Portugal, 38n43, 9w08|
|Timezone||LMT m9w08 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||08°09' 23°58 Asc. 13°47'|
King of Portugal and the Algarves between 1861 and 1889, known as 'the Popular.' He was the second son of Maria II and Ferdinand II and was created Duke of Porto and Viseu. Luís had a passion for oceanography. He established one of the World's first Aquariums, Aquário Vasco da Gama in Lisbon, which is still open to the public with its vast collection of maritime life forms.
Luís married Princess Maria Pia of Savoy, daughter of Victor Emmanuel II of Italy and Maria Adelaide of Austria. Luis's countless mistresses eventually led Maria Pia to depression. Together they had two sons who survived childhood, and a stillborn son in 1866. The King also fathered one illegitimate child, born in 1874 in Lisbon, a son named Carlos Augusto.
Luis I died on 19 October 1889 aged 50 in Cascais, Portugal.
- parent->child relationship with Afonso, Duke of Oporto (born 31 July 1865)
- parent->child relationship with Carlos I, King of Portugal (born 28 September 1863)
- child->parent relationship with Maria II, Queen of Portugal (born 4 April 1819)
- spouse relationship with Maria Pia of Savoy, Queen of Portugal (born 16 October 1847). Notes: 1862-1889
- sibling relationship with Antónia, Infanta of Portugal (born 17 February 1845)
- sibling relationship with Augusto, Duke of Coimbra (born 4 November 1847)
- sibling relationship with Fernando Maria Luís, Infante of Portugal (born 23 July 1846)
- sibling relationship with João, Duke of Beja (born 16 March 1842)
- sibling relationship with Maria Anna, Princess of Saxony (born 21 July 1843)
- sibling relationship with Pedro V, King of Portugal (born 16 September 1837)
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Contemporaneos illustres" by F. J. Pinto Coelho (Impr. Nacional, 1877), p. 45: "A 31 de outubro de 1838, pelas onze horas e meia da noite, nasceu o infante D. Luiz, hoje rei de Portugal..."
Translation: On 31 October 1838, at eleven-thirty in the evening, the Infante D. Luiz, now king of Portugal, was born.
Full name: Luís Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcântara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Valfando de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (1)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (3 live sons, 1 stillborn son)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Hobbies, games (Oceanography)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Braganza)