Lee, Gypsy Rose
|Birthname||Hovick, Rose Louise|
|born on||9 February 1914 at 04:30 (= 04:30 AM )|
|Place||Seattle, Washington, 47n36, 122w20|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||19°56' 03°36 Asc. 26°00'|
American world famous strip-tease artist, later appearing in film and TV. The author of mystery novels and memoirs in "Gypsy" in 1957. She was a hostess of her own TV talk show as well as burlesque, vaudeville and stage performances.
Lee had a son fathered by producer Otto Preminger in a brief romance. A heavy smoker, she died of lung cancer 4/26/1970 in Los Angeles, CA.
- friend relationship with Bailey, Pearl (born 29 March 1918)
- parent->child relationship with Preminger, Erik Lee (born 11 December 1944)
- role played of/by Gibb, Cynthia (born 14 December 1963). Notes: 1993 film "Gypsy"
- role played of/by Lansbury, Angela (born 16 October 1925). Notes: 1973-1975 musical "Gypsy"
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1957 (Published her memoirs)
McEvers from a biography; spec. time. Same date in Current Biography 1943 and in 50,000 Birthdays. Penfield Collection gives January 9,1914, says "date verified" time of 4:35 AM computed from Sabian Symbols #559. Same date in F.P. Info Please and CB Obit. 1970. A&E Network website gives January 9.
Sabian Symbols #449 gives Jan. 10, 1910 same date in Celebrity Birthdays. Shelley Ackerman notes that the New York Times obituary of Lee's younger sister, June Havoc, said: "Ellen Evangeline Hovick was born on Nov. 8, 1912, in Vancouver, British Columbia. Or so Ms. Havoc concluded. Her mother reportedly carried five birth certificates for her younger daughter, to satisfy the child labor laws of every state, so June wasn’t sure exactly how old she was.: It makes some sense that Lee was more likely born in 1910 than in 1914.
Wikipedia gives 9 January 1911, based on California death records. The website History link has 8 January 1911.
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Lover Otto Preminger)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Night Club/ Vaudeville (Vaudeville, burlesque, strip tease)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Memoirs)
- Vocation : Writers : Detective/ Mystery (Mystery)
- Notable : Book Collection : American Book