|born on||30 April 1926 at 06:55 (= 06:55 AM )|
|Place||Des Moines, Iowa, 41n36, 93w37|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||09°25' 10°24 Asc. 10°30'|
American actress, a multifaceted talent of TV, film, and stage, best known for her role as Phyllis Lindstrom on The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1975) and her spin-off sitcom, Phyllis (1975-1977). In 1971 she won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her part in The Last Picture Show. Leachman received eight Primetime Emmys from 22 nominations, making her the most nominated and, along with Julia Louis-Dreyfus, most awarded actress in Emmy history.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa, she felt isolated out in the country with no other kids around so she took up piano and other arts. Jazz and dancing were her favorites. She started acting as a teenager in Iowa, both on stage in high school and on radio. She went on to Northwestern University where her acting classmates included Paul Lynde, Jean Hagen and Charlotte Rae.
In 1946 she was a Miss America finalist and was accepted by The Actors Studio in New York in 1948, where she trained under Elia Kazan. Broadway, movies and a role as the mother in TV's Lassie followed. Among her movie credits are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), Daisy Miller (1974), Young Frankenstein (1974) and High Anxiety (1977) as well as many TV-movie starring roles. In the TV show The Facts of Life (1986-1988) she played Beverly Ann, an eccentric aunt who joins the family - not by their choice. In 1989 she was on the road playing the lead role in Grandma Moses where she had to age from 45 to 100.
Leachman considered herself a character actress. When asked about all the scripts she had to review, her mischievous side came out. "I don't read scripts anyway," she says " because I'm left-handed. You see, it's hard for left-handed people to turn pages, so we just flip to the back and try a sample page."
Leachman married in 1953 and had five children with producer George Englund; they divorced in 1979. Her youngest son, Morgan Englund, and oldest son, Adam Englund are both actors while George Jr. is a composer. Her only daughter, Dinah Englund, lived in Italy for a while and speaks Italian like a native. Son Bryan Englund died in 1986. Leachman's granddaughter, Anabel Englund, is a singer.
Leachman wasn't religious in the traditional sense of the word. "I'm an appreciator and a gratefuller. I want that on my tombstone: 'She Was Grateful!'" Indeed, Leachman was an atheist.
A vegetarian, she posed clad only in lettuce for a 2009 PETA advertisement. Her autobiography Cloris: My Autobiography was published in March 2009. She wrote the bestselling book with Englund, her former husband.
Cloris Leachman died from natural causes on 26 or 27 January 2021 at her home in Encinitas, California, at the age of 94.
- associate relationship with Entertainment: Malcolm in the Middle (born 9 January 2000). Notes: Played Grandma Ida, 2001-2006
- associate relationship with Entertainment: The Mary Tyler Moore Show (born 19 September 1970). Notes: Played Phyllis Lindstrom, 1970-1975
- associate relationship with Historic: P.E.T.A. (born 21 August 1980)
- associate relationship with Whelchel, Lisa (born 29 May 1963). Notes: co-stars on "The Facts of Life"
- associate relationship with White, Betty (born 17 January 1922). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Asner, Ed (born 15 November 1929). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Harper, Valerie (born 22 August 1939). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Knight, Ted (born 7 December 1923). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with MacLeod, Gavin (born 28 February 1931). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Moore, Mary Tyler (born 29 December 1936). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- friend relationship with Brando, Marlon (born 3 April 1924)
- neighbor relationship with Garland, Judy (born 10 June 1922). Notes: 1960s
- neighbor relationship with Luft, Joey (born 29 March 1955)
- neighbor relationship with Luft, Lorna (born 21 November 1952)
- sibling relationship with Cary, Claiborne (born 17 February 1932)
- (has as) teacher relationship with Kazan, Elia (born 7 September 1909). Notes: The Actors Studio
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1979 (George Englund)
Stephen Przybylowski quotes birth certificate. In May 2021 Sy Scholfield provided the birth certificate, copy on file, and upgraded rating to "BC/BR in hand".
Previously this entry had 5:45 AM, Linda Clark quoted her in 1982, "5:00 to 7:00 AM, closer to 5:00."
- Traits : Body : Diet unusual (Vegetarian)
- Family : Childhood : Family traumatic event (Son died 1986)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (29 years then divorced)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 94)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film, TV, stage)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer ("Cloris")
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (Nine)
- Notable : Awards : Oscar (1971)
- Notable : Book Collection : Occult/ Misc. Collection