Laat, August de
|Birthname||Gosuwinus Cornelius de Laat|
|born on||16 September 1882 at 20:30 (= 8:30 PM )|
|Place||Tilburg, Netherlands, 51n34, 5e05|
|Timezone||LMT m5e05 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°50' 10°49 Asc. 04°02'|
Dutch singer and humorist who recorded more than 350 songs, including those with the famous dance orchestra The Ramblers. Because of his powerful voice and his clear diction, he was a suitable singer for phonograph recordings and radio performances.
In the early 20th century he formed a duo with Adrian of Ireland (Dutch: Adriaan van Ierland) and in 1910 they made some recordings. From 1911 he went solo.
He reached the height of his popularity in the 1920s and 1930s. His most famous songs are "Breng eens een zonnetje onder de mensen," "Ik heb een huis met een tuintje gehuurd" (I've rented a house with a garden) and "Brabants volkslied" (Brabants anthem).
He formed an ensemble with his son André and his daughter Caroline taking turns to accompany him on the piano. During this period he also performed as a duo with his brother Ko de Laat senior, who died young.
After the war he performed only occasionally, and in 1960 said goodbye with a radio special on the VARA.
He died in Tilburg on 14 February 1966.
Link to Wikipedia biography (Dutch)
- parent->child relationship with Laat, André de (born 17 September 1908)
- parent->child relationship with Laat, Caroline de (born 4 December 1910)
- sibling relationship with Laat, Ko de (born 25 June 1895)
Sy Scholfield submitted birth certificate no. 746 from the online Tilburg archives: "om half negen ure des namiddags" (at half past eight in the afternoon).
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 83)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Comedy
- Vocation : Entertainment : Radio/ D.J./ Announcer (Radio personality)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.