Laat, André de
|Birthname||Andreas Leonardus Aloijsius Johanna de Laat|
|born on||17 September 1908 at 22:00 (= 10:00 PM )|
|Place||Tilburg, Netherlands, 51n34, 5e05|
|Timezone||LST m4e53 (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||24°34' 29°51 Asc. 29°46'|
Dutch pianist, accordionist and composer who worked in both popular music and classical music.
He debuted in 1921 as a pianist in the ensemble of his father, the singer-humorist August de Laat and accompanied him from 1926 during radio appearances for HDO (forerunner of the AVRO), KRO, PHOHI (cable network for colonies in Indonesia) and Flemish KRO.
From 1927 he was replaced by his sister Caroline, while he performed with his own jazz orchestra. André still worked regularly on recordings by his father, particularly in 1934 and 1935. André toured solo as a pianist through Germany, Belgium and Switzerland. He also played with pianists like Guus van Opstal and Nico de Rooij.
De Laat continued to perform on cruise ships (such as the Holland-America Line) and in hotels. Eventually he had to end his career due to a hand injury.
He died in Oosterbeek on 14 October 1989.
- child->parent relationship with Laat, August de (born 16 September 1882)
- sibling relationship with Laat, Caroline de (born 4 December 1910)
- other kin relationship with Laat, Ko de (born 25 June 1895). Notes: Ko was André's uncle
Sy Scholfield submitted birth certificate no. 1284 from the online Tilburg archives: "om tien ure des namiddags" (at ten o'clock in the afternoon).
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 81)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Pianist, accordionist)