Léopold of Belgium, Duke of Brabant
|Birthname||L. Ferdinand Élie Victor Albert Marie|
|born on||12 June 1859 at 13:00 (= 1:00 PM )|
|Place||Laeken, Belgium, 50n53, 4e21|
|Timezone||LMT m4e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||20°58' 17°27 Asc. 03°47'|
Prince of Belgium, as the second child and only son and heir apparent of Leopold II and his wife, Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria. Leopold was named for his grandfather, and for his father's cousins, Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and Prince Albert, the Prince Consort. Leopold was preceded in birth by one sister, Louise, and followed by two more sisters, Stéphanie, and Clémentine, who was born after Leopold's death, their parents' last hope for another son.
Upon the death of his grandfather and the ascension of his father to the throne in 1865, young Leopold became Duke of Brabant, the title for the heir-apparent to the Belgian throne. As heir-apparent, he was expected to eventually succeed his father as King Leopold III of the Belgians. However, Leopold died, aged 9, at Laeken or Brussels on 22 January 1869 from pneumonia, after falling into a pond.
Upon his death in 1909, Leopold II was succeeded by his nephew, Albert I, whose eldest son would later succeed him as Leopold III.
- child->parent relationship with Leopold II, King of Belgium (born 9 April 1835)
- child->parent relationship with Marie Henriette, Queen Consort of Belgium (born 23 August 1836)
- sibling relationship with Louise, Princess of Belgium (1858) (born 18 February 1858)
- sibling relationship with Stéphanie, Princess of Belgium (born 21 May 1864)
- other kin relationship with Albert I, King of Belgium (born 8 April 1875). Notes: Uncle / nephew
- other kin relationship with Leopold I, King of Belgium (born 16 December 1790). Notes: Grandkin
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Bayreuther Zeitung: 1859,1/6 - Page 614: "Brussel, 12. Juni. Die Herzogin von Brabant ist heute Mittag 1 Uhr glücklich von einem Prinzen entbunden worden" (translation: Brussels, 12 June. The Duchess of Brabant was happily delivered of a prince at 1 o'clock noon).
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Pneumonia (Fatal)
- Personal : Death : Short Life less than 29 Yrs (Age 9)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha)