Joseph Karl, Archduke of Austria
|Birthname||Josef Karl Ludwig|
|born on||2 March 1833 at 23:59 (= 11:59 PM )|
|Place||Pressburg, Slovakia, 48n09, 17e07|
|Timezone||LMT m17e07 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||12°10' 26°33 Asc. 21°16'|
Archduke of Austria and member of the Habsburg dynasty, as the second son of Archduke Joseph, Palatine of Hungary (7th son of Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor) and Duchess Maria Dorothea of Württemberg.
Like many junior members of royal families, Archduke Joseph Karl entered the military. He became a Major General in the Austrian Army in 1860. In 1867, he became Palatine of Hungary after the death of his childless half-brother Stephen, though the post by that time was symbolic only.
On 12 May 1864 in Coburg, Archduke Joseph married Princess Clotilde of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1846–1927), the elder daughter of Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Princess Clémentine of Orléans. They had seven children.
He died in Fiume on 13 June 1905, aged 72.
- parent->child relationship with Joseph August, Archduke of Austria (born 9 August 1872)
- parent->child relationship with Ladislaus Philipp, Archduke of Austria (born 16 July 1875)
- parent->child relationship with Margarethe Klementine, Archduchess of Austria (born 6 June 1870)
- parent->child relationship with Maria Dorothea, Archduchess of Austria (born 14 June 1867)
- child->parent relationship with Joseph of Austria, Palatine of Hungary (born 9 March 1776)
- spouse relationship with Clotilde, Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (born 8 July 1846). Notes: 1864-1905
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Franziska, Archduchess of Austria (1831) (born 17 January 1831)
- sibling relationship with Hermine, Archduchess of Austria (born 14 September 1817)
- sibling relationship with Marie Henriette, Queen Consort of Belgium (born 23 August 1836)
- sibling relationship with Stephan of Austria, Palatine of Hungary (born 14 September 1817)
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Gemeinnütziger und erheiternder Haus-Kalender für das österreichische Kaiserthum, vorzüglich für Freunde des Vaterlandes oder Geschäfts-, Unterhaltungs- und Lesebuch" (Strauß, 1834), p. 86: "Ihre kais. Hoheit die Frau Erzherzogin Maria, Gemahlin Sr. kais. Hoheit des Erzherzogs Palatinus sind in der Nacht auf den 2. März 1833 um 12 Uhr glücklich von einem gesunden Erzherzoge entbunden worden, welchem in der heiligen Taufe die Namen Joseph Karl Ludwig beigelegt wurden." (Translation: Her Majesty the Archduchess Maria, the wife of His Majesty and His Highness the Archduke Palatine, was happily delivered of a healthy Archduke at twelve o'clock on the night of 2 March 1833, and he was baptised with the names Joseph Karl Ludwig).
A report in "Der bayerische Volksfreund," 13 March 1833, p. 341, states that the birth occurred at 12 midnight between the 2nd and 3rd of March in Pressburg.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Seven)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Habsburg-Lorraine)