Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
|born on||22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.) at 18:30 (= 6:30 PM )|
|Place||Gotha, Germany, 50n57, 10e41|
|Timezone||LMT m10e41 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||09°19' 02°50 Asc. 04°01'|
German duke, as the tenth but seventh surviving son of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha and Elisabeth Sophie of Saxe-Altenburg.
After the death of his father in 1675, Johann Ernst initially governed the duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, jointly with his six older brothers, as set out in their father's will. However, in 1680, the brothers concluded a treaty dividing the paternal lands and Johann Ernst became duke of Saxe-Saalfeld, with the towns of Gräfenthal, Probstzella and Pössneck. As he was the youngest, he kept the smallest portion of the lands.
Johann Ernst and his brother Ernst soon found themselves financially overstretched as a result of the partition (the income of their eldest brother, Friedrich, far exceeded the income of Johann Ernst), and they both made a protest. Over the following years, the controversy continued and increased, as their older brothers Albrecht of Saxe-Coburg, Heinrich of Saxe-Römhild and Christian of Saxe-Eisenberg died without male heirs. During these years, Johann Ernst took possession of Coburg (in 1699), Römhild and 5/12 of Themar (in 1714).
The "Coburg-Eisenberg-Römhilder Erbstreit" was finally resolved (after repeated intervention and arbitration by the emperor) in 1735, six years after the death of Johann Ernst. His descendants retained Coburg. The decision was generally accepted, most importantly by the descendants of his older brother Bernhard, who also had a claim to Coburg.
Johann Ernst married twice and had thirteen children. He died on 17 February 1729, aged 70, in Saalfeld.
- child->parent relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (born 10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg (born 6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 786: "Johann Ernst wurde geboren Sonntags den 22. August 1658 Abends halb 7 Uhr" (Johann Ernst was born on Sunday, 22 August 1658, in the evening at half-before-seven o'clock [6:30pm]). Sunday was old style.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Thirteen)