Hicks, David Nightingale
|born on||25 March 1929 at 02:15 (= 02:15 AM )|
|Place||Coggeshall, England, 51n52, 0e41|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||03°57' 01°08 Asc. 02°45'|
English interior decorator and designer, noted for using bold colours, mixing antique and modern furnishings, and contemporary art for his famous clientele. Hicks designed sets for Richard Lester's 1968 movie Petulia, starring Julie Christie. In the 1970s and '80s Hicks shops opened in fifteen countries around the world.
He designed, for example, guestrooms at the Okura Hotel in Tokyo and the yacht of the King of Saudi Arabia. Hicks was a talented photographer, painter and sculptor and produced fashion and jewelry collections. He designed the interior of a BMW and scarlet-heeled men's evening shoes. He wrote nine practical design books.
He married Lady Pamela Mountbatten (born 19 April 1929), the younger daughter of the 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma by his wife, the former Edwina Ashley. David and Pamela Hicks were married on 13 January 1960 at Romsey Abbey in Hampshire. They had three children.
A chain smoker, David Hicks died on 29 March 1998 from lung cancer, aged 69 at his home in Brightwell Baldwin, Oxfordshire. He had designed his own coffin.
- has other family relationship with Mountbatten, Edwina (born 28 November 1901). Notes: Mother-in-law/ son-in-law
- has other family relationship with Mountbatten, Lord Louis (born 25 June 1900). Notes: Father-in-law/ son-in-law
Sy Scholfield quotes from David Hicks: A Life of Design by Ashley Hicks (Random House, 2009), page 11: "'I was born dead.' That was how David Hicks always began the story of his life; and he was effectively dead, with no heartbeat, when he appeared at 2:15 in the morning of 25th March 1929, in his parents' house, The Hamlet, Little Coggeshall, Essex."
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted
- Personal : Birth : Difficult birth (Born dead)
- Vocation : Art : Commercial artist
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist
- Vocation : Art : Photography
- Vocation : Art : Stage/ Set design
- Vocation : Beauty : Designer/ Fashion
- Vocation : Building Trades : Interior design
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction