Hearst, William Randolph Jr.
|born on||27 January 1908 at 18:30 (= 6:30 PM )|
|Place||New York, New York, 40n43, 74w00|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||06°39' 23°21 Asc. 23°59'|
American businessman and newspaper publisher, the second son of the publisher William Randolph Hearst. He became editor-in-chief of Hearst Newspapers after the death of his father in 1951. He won a Pulitzer Prize for his interview with Soviet premier, Nikita Khrushchev, and associated commentaries in 1955. Hearst was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.
Hearst was instrumental in restoring some measure of family control to the Hearst Corporation, which under his father's will is (and will continue to be while any grandchild alive at William Randolph Hearst Sr.'s death in 1951 is still living) controlled by a board of thirteen trustees, five from the Hearst family and eight Hearst executives. When tax laws changed to prevent the foundations his father had established from continuing to own the corporation, he arranged for the family trust (with the same trustees) to buy the shares and for longtime chief executive Richard E. Berlin, who was going senile, to be eased out to become chairman of the trustees for a period. Later, William Randolph Hearst Jr. himself headed the trust and served as chairman of the executive committee of the corporation. Today, his branch of the family is represented on the trustees by his son, William Randolph Hearst III.
He married three times and had two sons, William Randolph Hearst III and John Augustine Hearst. Hearst died on 14 May 1993 at age 85.
- parent->child relationship with Hearst, William Randolph III (born 18 June 1949)
- child->parent relationship with Hearst, William Randolph (born 29 April 1863)
- sibling relationship with Hearst, David Whitmire (born 2 December 1915)
- sibling relationship with Hearst, George Randolph (born 23 April 1904)
- sibling relationship with Hearst, Randolph Apperson (born 2 December 1915)
- other kin relationship with Hearst, Anne (born 29 July 1955). Notes: Uncle/ niece
- other kin relationship with Hearst, George Randolph Jr. (born 13 July 1927). Notes: Uncle/ nephew
- other kin relationship with Hearst, Patty (born 20 February 1954). Notes: Uncle/ niece
Sy Scholfield quotes birth news, "Son Born to the Hearsts," The Washington Herald (Washington, District of Columbia), 29 January 1908, page 1.
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged
- Family : Childhood : Family large (One of five sons)
- Family : Childhood : Family noted
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Second of five sons)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (Two)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two sons)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Inheritance
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 85)
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor
- Notable : Awards : Pulitzer prize