|Birthname||Richard Dean Grove|
|born on||18 December 1927 at 06:15 (= 06:15 AM )|
|Place||Lakeville, Indiana, 41n31, 86w16|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||25°35' 22°58 Asc. 13°33'|
American musician, composer, arranger, and educator, best known as the founder of the Dick Grove School of Music which operated in Los Angeles from 1973 to 1991. Its students include Michael Jackson, Linda Ronstadt, and Barry Manilow, and its teachers Henry Mancini, Bill Conti, and Lalo Schifrin.
After the Dick Grove School of Music closed, he established the Grove School Without Walls, a distance-learning school where he taught Musicianship and Modern Harmony, Composing and Arranging, and Jazz Keyboard via a series of books and accompanying videos and DVDs.
While operating the Grove School and the School without Walls, Grove published many books on musicianship, jazz harmony, ear training, improvisation, composing, and arranging as related to contemporary styles of music. He also pioneered innovative concepts such as tying the study of chord symbols, jazz harmony and chord-scale-theory to ear training by using movable do solfege.
As a jazz pianist, Grove worked with Alvino Rey, Paul Horn, Buddy Rich, and Nancy Wilson.
He died from a heart attack on 26 December 1998, aged 71, in Laughlin, Nevada.
- associate relationship with Horn, Paul (born 17 March 1930). Notes: Music collaborators
- associate relationship with Wilson, Nancy (born 20 February 1937). Notes: Music collaborators
- (has as) student relationship with Jackson, Michael (1958) (born 29 August 1958)
- (has as) student relationship with Manilow, Barry (born 17 June 1943)
- (has as) student relationship with Ronstadt, Linda (born 15 July 1946)
- (has as) worker relationship with Mancini, Henry (born 16 April 1924)
- Work : Prize 1988 (Los Angeles Jazz Society's Jazz Educator Award)
Sy Scholfield provided birth certificate from Indiana archives ("Richard Dean Groves").
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Heart disease/attack
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Heart attack)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Pianist)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Music teacher
- Notable : Famous : First in Field (Pioneered innovative concepts)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Dick Grove School of Music)