|born on||3 December 1930 at 02:00 (= 02:00 AM )|
|Place||Paris, France, 48n52, 2e20|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||10°11' 03°58 Asc. 09°50'|
French-Swiss film director, screenwriter, critic and producer, recognized as one of the most influential filmmakers of the 20th century and one of the leaders of the French New Wave. He is most noted for his 1960 film, Breathless, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo as a young hoodlum undone by his love for an American girl, played by Jean Seberg. This film is credited with influencing a generation of filmmakers. His other films include A Woman Is a Woman (1961), A Married Woman (1965) and One Plus One (1969). His body of work includes 100 television and feature films.
The son of a Red Cross doctor in Paris, Godard preferred living in Switzerland, though he was French to the core. A small, thin man with wiry hair and horn-rimmed glasses, he had no pretensions and loved his work. Living in an apartment in a small village, he ate his meals alone or with his longtime girlfriend, the director Anne-Marie Mieville, at the local hotel.
A treasured icon in France, he became something of a relic in the '90s. His Helas pour Moi (Unfortunately for Me), was a complete flop in 1994. He found filmmaking exhausting as he was so totally immersed in his project that his critics would say, "It's not cinema anymore, it's Godard. His films are part of him."
In 2010, Godard was awarded an Academy Honorary Award, but did not attend the award ceremony.
Godard was married twice, to actresses Anna Karina and Anne Wiazemsky, both of whom starred in several of his films. Jean-Luc Godard died on 13 September 2022 at age 91 at his home in Rolle, Switzerland, following an assisted suicide procedure.
- associate relationship with Belmondo, Jean-Paul (born 9 April 1933)
- associate relationship with Buache, Freddy (born 29 December 1924)
- associate relationship with Goya, Chantal (born 10 June 1942)
- associate relationship with Jobert, Marlène (born 4 November 1940)
- associate relationship with Léaud, Jean-Pierre (born 28 May 1944)
- associate relationship with Seberg, Jean (born 13 November 1938)
- associate relationship with Truffaut, François (born 6 February 1932)
- business associate/partner relationship with Coutard, Raoul (born 16 September 1924)
- spouse relationship with Karina, Anna (born 23 September 1940). Notes: Married 1961-1965
- spouse relationship with Wiazemsky, Anne (born 14 May 1947). Notes: Married 1967-1979
- other kin relationship with Kuczynski, Pedro Pablo (born 3 October 1938). Notes: First cousins
- has other family relationship with Monod, Théodore (born 9 April 1902)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1960 (Film "Breathless")
- Work : Prize 2010 (Academy Honorary Award)
Didier Geslain archive, 'Cinema Realisateurs' pdf file, p. 116.
Same from Steinbrecher who quotes Paddy de Jabrun for B.C.
- Traits : Personality : Private (Reclusive)
- Family : Relationship : Cohabitation more than 3 yrs (Had a long-term girlfriend)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (Two)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Lifestyle : Work : Loves job
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Lived in Switzerland)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 91)
- Personal : Death : Suicide (Assisted suicide)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Entertain Producer (Over 100 TV and feature films)
- Vocation : Writers : Critic (Film critic)
- Vocation : Writers : Playwright/ script (Screenwriter)
- Notable : Awards : Oscar (Academy Honorary Award)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Golden Lion, Golden Bear, Honorary César, Prix Jean Vigo)