George VI, King of the United Kingdom
|Birthname||Albert Frederick Arthur George Windsor|
|born on||14 December 1895 at 03:05 (= 03:05 AM )|
|Place||Sandringham, England, 52n50, 0e30|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||21°55' 24°51 Asc. 27°09'|
British monarch, he was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was concurrently the last emperor of India until August 1947, when the British Raj was dissolved. Crowned on 12 May 1937, George VI was a popular monarch in troubled times.
Known as "Bertie" among his family and close friends, George VI was born in the reign of his great-grandmother Queen Victoria and was named after his great-grandfather Albert, Prince Consort. As the second son of King George V, he was not expected to inherit the throne and spent his early life in the shadow of his elder brother, Edward.
He attended naval college as a teenager and served in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force during the First World War. In 1920, he was made Duke of York. He married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923, and they had two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret.
George's elder brother ascended the throne as Edward VIII after their father died in 1936. Later that year, Edward abdicated to marry the twice-divorced American socialite Wallis Simpson, and George became the third monarch of the House of Windsor.
In September 1939, the British Empire and Commonwealth—but not Ireland—declared war on Nazi Germany. War with the Kingdom of Italy and the Empire of Japan followed in 1940 and 1941, respectively. George was seen as sharing the hardships of the common people and his popularity soared. Buckingham Palace was bombed during the Blitz while the King and Queen were there, and his younger brother, the Duke of Kent, was killed on active service.
George became known as a symbol of British determination to win the war. Britain and its allies were victorious in 1945, but the British Empire declined. Ireland had largely broken away, followed by independence of India and Pakistan in 1947. George relinquished the title of Emperor of India in June 1948 and instead adopted the new title of Head of the Commonwealth.
He was beset by smoking-related health problems in the later years of his reign and died in his sleep of coronary thrombosis on 5 February 1952 at age 56 in Sandringham House. His eldest daughter flew back to Britain from Kenya as Queen Elizabeth II.
- associate relationship with Attlee, Clement (born 3 January 1883)
- associate relationship with Baldwin, Stanley (born 3 August 1867)
- associate relationship with Chamberlain, Neville (born 18 March 1869)
- associate relationship with Churchill, Winston (born 30 November 1874)
- associate relationship with Historic: World War II (born 1 September 1939). Notes: Leader of the United Kingdom
- associate relationship with Nation: India (Independence) (born 15 August 1947). Notes: King, 1947-1950
- associate relationship with Nation: Pakistan (Independence) (born 14 August 1947). Notes: King, 1947-1952
- parent->child relationship with Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom (born 21 April 1926)
- parent->child relationship with Margaret, Princess of England (born 21 August 1930)
- child->parent relationship with George V, King of the United Kingdom (born 3 June 1865)
- child->parent relationship with Mary, Queen Consort (1867) (born 26 May 1867)
- spouse relationship with Elizabeth, Queen Mother (born 4 August 1900). Notes: Happy
- sibling relationship with Edward VIII, King of the United Kingdom (born 23 June 1894)
- sibling relationship with George, Duke of Kent (born 20 December 1902)
- sibling relationship with Henry, Prince (1900) England (born 31 March 1900)
- sibling relationship with John, Prince of England (born 12 July 1905)
- sibling relationship with Mary, Princess of England (born 25 April 1897)
- has other family relationship with Aleksandar, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia (born 17 July 1945). Notes: Godkin
- compare to chart of Learmonth, James (born 23 March 1895)
- role played of/by Firth, Colin (born 10 September 1960). Notes: 2010 film "The King's Speech"
- role played of/by Glen, Iain (born 24 June 1961). Notes: Glen played George in TV film, "Into the Storm," 2009
- role played of/by Harris, Jared (born 24 August 1961). Notes: 2016-2017 TV series "The Crown"
- role played of/by Mendelsohn, Ben (born 3 April 1969). Notes: 2017 film "Darkest Hour"
Fagan quotes official record in AA, 9/1940. (It would seem that Fagan was giving London time of 3:05 AM GMT, as in Sandringham, the time was a half hour later, which would make the birth at 3:35 AM Sandringham time.)
(Dana Holliday quotes several biographies that give different times. Sarah Bradford, "The Reluctant King, The Life and Reign of George VI 1895-1952," St. Martin's Press, New York, p.1 reads, "he chose to be born at 3:10 AM on 14 December 1895."
Harold Nicolson, "King George the Fifth, His Life and Reign," Constable & Co LTD, London, p.55 quotes an entry in the diary of the Prince of Wales, "A little boy was born at 3:40 AM S.T. Everything most satisfactory, both doing well." (The initials stand for "Sandringham Time," as the clocks at Sandringham were always kept half an hour fast. King Edward VIII on his accession in 1936 abolished this practice.")
Denis Judd, "King George VI, 1895-1052. Franklin Watts, New York 1983, p.3, quotes his father's diary for the same quote as above (3:40 AM), but the telegram to Queen Victoria read, "Darling May was safely confined of a son at 3:30 this morning both doing well.")
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Heart (Terminal attack while sleeping)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Drugs (Heavy smoker)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Stutter, Tics (Stuttered)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two daughters)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted (Queen Elizabeth II)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, until 1917)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Windsor, from 1917)
- 1895 births
- Birthday 14 December
- Birthplace Sandringham, ENG (UK)
- Sun 21 Sagittarius
- Moon 24 Scorpio
- Asc 27 Libra
- 1952 deaths
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Heart
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Drugs
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Stutter, Tics
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted
- Notable : Famous : Royal family