Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse
|Birthname||G. D. Wilhelm Nikolaus Eduard Heinrich Karl|
|born on||8 November 1906 at 06:30 (= 06:30 AM )|
|Place||Darmstadt, Germany, 49n53, 8e40|
|Timezone||CET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||14°54' 01°39 Asc. 04°08'|
German prince, he was the first child of Ernest Louis (Ernst Ludwig), Grand Duke of Hesse and his second wife, Princess Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich. He was a nephew of Empress Alexandra, wife of Emperor Nicholas II (or Nikolai II) of Russia.
On 2 February 1931 at Darmstadt, Georg, a great-grandson of Queen Victoria, married his first cousin once-removed, Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg (and thus a sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh), a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. They had four children.
On 1 May 1937 Georg Donatus and Princess Cecilie both joined the Nazi Party.
On 16 November 1937, Georg Donatus, Cecilie, their two young sons, Georg's mother Grand Duchess Eleonore, the children's nurse, a family friend, a pilot and two crewmen, flew from Darmstadt bound for the United Kingdom, where Georg's younger brother Prince Louis was due to be married. The aeroplane hit a factory chimney near Ostend and crashed into flames, killing all those on board. Cecilie was heavily pregnant with her fourth child at the time of the crash, and the remains of the newborn baby were found in the wreckage, indicating that Cecilie had gone into labour during the flight; the Belgian inquiry into the crash suggested that the pilot was attempting to land in Ostend despite the poor weather conditions because of the birth.
He is depicted in the 2017 second season of Netflix series The Crown by German actor August Wittgenstein.
- child->parent relationship with Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (born 25 November 1868)
- spouse relationship with Cecilie, Princess of Greece and Denmark (born 22 June 1911). Notes: 1931-1937
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine (born 11 March 1895). Notes: Half-siblings, same father
- sibling relationship with Ludwig, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine (born 20 November 1908)
- has other family relationship with Philip, Prince (Duke of Edinburgh) (born 10 June 1921). Notes: Brothers-in-law
- Relationship : Marriage 2 February 1931 (Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes from the German biography, Ernst Ludwig: Grossherzog von Hessen u. bei Rhein: sein Leben u. seine Zeit by Manfred Knodt (Schlapp, 1978), page 95: "Der im Hessenlande erhoffte Thronerbe stellte sich am 8. November 1906 , um 6.30 früh.... Die Allerhöchste Botschaft, die der Großherzog an die zweite Kammer der Stände richete, hatte folgenden Wortlaut: Unsere innigstgeliebte gemahlin, die Durchlauchtigste Frau Eleonore Ernestine Marie, Großherzogin von Hessen und bei Rhein, Königliche Hoheit und Liebden, sind am 8. dieses Monats vormittags 6 ½ Uhr dahier von einem Prinzen glücklich entbunden worden."
(Translation: The hoped-for heir to the throne of Hesse was delivered on 8 November 1906 at 6.30 AM .... The "Almighty Message", which the Grand Duke addressed to the second chamber of the estates, had the following wording: 'My dearly beloved wife, the most noble Eleonore Ernestine Marie, Grand Duchess of Hesse and of the Rhine, Her Royal Highness, was happily delivered of a prince on the 8th of this month at 6:30 AM).
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Princess Cecilie)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Personal : Death : Accidental (Plane crash)
- Vocation : Politics : Nazi party (1937)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hesse-Darmstadt)