Garza, Kika de la
|Birthname||Eligio de la Garza|
|born on||22 September 1927 at 23:00 (= 11:00 PM )|
|Place||Laredo, Texas, 27n30, 99w30|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||29°10' 28°58 Asc. 20°14'|
American politician who served as the Democratic representative for the 15th congressional district of Texas from 3 January 1965 to 3 January 1997.
From 1981 to 1994, he was the chairman of the Agriculture Committee, leading the way in passing bills that reorganized the agricultural lending system, the farm insurance system, the United States Department of Agriculture, and pesticide laws.
De la Garza was also a civil rights supporter and called for smoother relations between the U.S. and Mexico. He worked to improve trade between the two nations and was critical in passing the legislation that enacted the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
De la Garza's nickname was made famous by Andy Rooney in the early days of his TV show as he referred to "Kiki de la Garza" as one of the names that stuck with him most (in honour of the Kika-Poo Native American Indians of the lower Rio Grande of South Texas).
He resided in McAllen, Texas, with his wife Lucille until he died there on 13 March 2017 of kidney failure, aged 89.
Sy Scholfield provided birth certificate.
- Traits : Body : Race (Hispanic)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Kidney
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Kidney failure)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 89)
- Vocation : Military : Military service
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ political (Civil rights)
- Vocation : Politics : Party Affiliation (Democratic)
- Vocation : Politics : Public office